Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 06-25-2009, 05:14 PM

I haven't been on the North Road for a little over a year, but I don't remember it being too bad then when Hans took me on a tour thru there to the Skyway.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:35 PM

Thanks. Last time I went that far up it was in the late 1980's.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:33 PM

As I recall, North River Road takes you across the state line if you follow it far enough. I'm taking a couple extra days off next week, thinking about heading down there too. Love the North and the Bald.

sb
Old 06-25-2009, 09:37 PM

Caveat Emptor: Neal is referring to the stretch up to the skyway which is in TN. Once you cross the state line going toward Santeetlah you are in NC. I suspect that road is 4X4 recommended but don't know for sure. Just wanted you all to know just in case.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:07 PM

I have been down that road 3 times. It is as smooth as a spank babies behind. I even encountered a road grader grading it. There was a woman throwing the uprooted rocks in the ditch as it was graded. That sign should be taken down.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:14 AM

Are you talking about the road to Santeetlah Creek?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
Granny Knot, I haven't been on the other side of the Skyway from the North River Rd. junction. I am looking at the National Geographic map for that region (#781) and once you cross the Skyway it becomes FR# 81 which leads to the headwaters of Santeetlah Creek, then you take a left on 81F to go to Wolf laurel hunt camp. Several of those roads dead end, so I can see how you would get turned around on the NC side of the Skyway.

Neal
Trails Illustrated 784 (Fontana & Hiawassee) is what I used when I got back there the first time. There are several 4x4 "roads" which aren't shown on the map, which makes it confusing. The main road (81) is grated and in good condition, but the side roads get a little hairy in places. Anyway, after a few attempts, I finally found Wolf Laurel camp, which has become one of my favorite areas for fishing & backpacking.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:12 PM

I was on the north in March, the road was in great shape, they were even grading out the road side ditches while i was up there. I caught a lot of trout, all three species. The road is wash-boarded in some spots but 4wd is not required. Unless you are like me and turn around in the ditch and have to get out and lock your hubs in the mud.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:19 PM

Yes, I was referring to Forest Rd 81, perhaps the sign need to come down. I just wanted to make sure that everyone knew the deal.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:21 PM

we just spent 10 days on the North and other rivers in the area. The water is warming very quickly. We noticed a definite change while there, especially after a storm. I would plan to fish high or early/late.

North River road in good shape all the way to the top. The area is getting a little snaky at the top. saw big rattler at one spot and a copperhead at another.