Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-04-2009, 11:11 PM

Hugh I know you and Rocky have some secret pattens for these, lets see them Most of the time I just fish a PT soft hackle variation. I just add a white hackle stem for the back stripe.

I tied some of Floyd Franke's imitations I saw in Fly Tyer magazine a couple years ago, but they didn't seem any more effective than the SH. I did see a new imitation the other day that I may try when I get a chance.

Last edited by flyman; 07-05-2009 at 11:08 AM..
Old 07-05-2009, 08:25 AM

Default imitations of the Isonychia Nymph

Steve,
I read and looked at your fly imitations for this fly and remembered that many years ago that I used an almost identical pattern for the Iso that I saw on Camp Creek. The strain there was more of a brown color and I tied it in a nymph form. I was not into soft hackles at that time. It worked very well. The strains in the Park all seem to be a dark colored version and I changed it to this pattern, which worked for many years.
http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/images/report%2024/IMGP0509.jpg
I took a picture of some nymphs on a rock a couple of days ago and you can see the similarities. http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com...olor%20004.jpg
I think these links are backwards but you can see what I'm talking about.

Like yourself, I found about 10 years ago that a soft hackle pattern did extremely well and I developed the SMBBSH and I have stuck with it. Your patterns are beautiful and I always enjoy looking at them.
Hugh
Old 07-05-2009, 10:59 AM

Holy cow the SH pattern flyman ties is almost exactly the fly I tie for my local stream here on post. My largest fish on this stream, a 22in brown, came on a iso nymph We have a pretty steady hatch of Isos here from May through September. The big yella mays we get from the end of May through the first of June also have a similar looking nymph minus the white stripe.

I use turkey instead of pheasents tail on my pattern. The turkey seems to have fuzzier fibers, representing the gills and tails a little more. I use a biot for the stripe. I also break the cardinal rule of SH flies and tie the hackle full.

I tie mine in a #12-#14 on a stimi hook. What size do the bugs down there seem to be?

I aslo tie a para spinner for this hatch. Mainly as just a large bug to float a dropper. The stockers seem to ignore it, but the few runs where the wild fish congregate, it can be effective in the late evenings. I've tried dun patterns but the all ignore them.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:37 AM

Hugh,
I like your nymph pattern better than Franke's. The gills are so prominent on the natural that I think they just have to be a trigger. I've noticed a little color variation myself. Some are dark brown and some are almost black. The imitation I saw the other day had a dark rusty brown body and ostrich herl for the gills, it looked really good, plus it looked fairly straight forward to tie. I know that the SMBBSH will catch em all the time

Bones,
My SH are tied on a sz14 TMC200, they are a good sized nymph. I never though about using turkey They are one of best hatches all year down here to. Do you use a whole biot or do you trim it for the stripe?
Old 07-05-2009, 12:33 PM

Whole biot, the end usually gets covered by dubbing and or peacock but they are so delicate trimming them usually means they are lost on the second or third fish.