Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 07-16-2009, 10:54 PM

Default 53 or 54

OK the time is finally here. I will be in Gatlinburg next week and I will head into the park shooting for 53 or 54 for an overnight stay with my daughter sometime during the week.

I hunt and fish alot but camp very little. I have a Katadyn Hiker water filter, bear spray, a 6x5' tent, girl scout camp cooking sets, rain gear, water bottles, whistles, knives, a couple of modestly priced 5 weight fly rod and reel combos with some basic nymphs, dries, etc. We will have cold and hot food options. I do not as yet have a camp stove.

Any late recommendations/ advice on the camping or fishing would be appreciated. I am not a flyfisherman. I do plan on stopping at LRO on the way in to Gburg.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:29 AM

54 is the only Deep Creek site that I have not visited. So, someone else will have to give an opinion on that one.

I was not impressed with 53. I have not stayed there, only hiked through and poked around. Anytime I am by a camp site I make notes on my observations. 53 is my least favorite. The area fishes ok (if I used the smiley face things I would have inserted the winking one here).

Good luck.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 07-17-2009, 08:46 AM

HD, a couple of things:
-If you are in the market for a camp stove, look into a jetboil. They are very self contained in a backpack and are great for boiling water if you are just going for a simple overnighter. You can find them at all sorts of places. A new unit is coming out in the fall, so you might be able to find the current one on sale at most places.

- 53 and 54 are a tough option for an overnighter. I'm not sure how good of shape you are in but the elevation changes with a pack can be really tough. I would stay somewhere else and do that one as a day hike. I haven't been to 54 either, but I agree with Jason, 53 is really not that nice of a site...and the fishing is just ok...

- As for items on your list, here is the list I use when doing an overnighter. I'm a bit anal (ok maybe I'm incredibly anal...), but this may be a good starting point for you:

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 07-17-2009, 01:49 PM

I would strongly recommend that you reconsider your choice of campsites on Deep Creek. The trail in from Hwy. 441 to either 53 or 54 is pretty rugged (not so much in the going but in the climbing out). I would suggest an alternative--Drive across the mountain to Bryson City and hike in from the lower trailhead to the Bumgardner Branch campsite (the first one on Deep creek as you head upstream). It is less than three miles of walking, and virtually all of it is a stroll. There is a bit of a climb the last few hundred yards, but then you drop down to a lovely campsite at creekside. Once there you have two fishing options. You can start upstream from your campsite and fish the Bumgardner Bend (pretty much an all-day trip) or you can hike back downstream and fish from where the road turns to trail through what used to be the first two fords. Another bonus to this campsite is that it rests above what is my favorite pool in the entire drainage. Jim Casada
P. S. Kudos for taking the youngster along. To me that's a real positive.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the help guys. With the faith of the ignorant, I am still set on 53 mainly for the creek itself. We will be traveling ultralight and are both relatively fit. With your warnings we will be exceptionally ultralight.

Is there a site to get forcasted temps for that area of the park or is there a general rule as to what to expect as far as temp difference from say Gburg?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:21 PM

Default Temps for 53

CS 53 is just above 3000' As you can see from the NWS website the temps between the Sugarland Center and Newfound Gap can be close or quite far apart. To be safe I would estimate that the Low and High temps at CS 53 would be about 5-7 degrees less than G'Burg. But thats only an estimate...the weather can be quite different up the road, in the mountains.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview....rsion=0&max=61

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 07-17-2009, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the help Pete.

I printed your list.

Thanks again. I just hope we can catch a fish.

HD