Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-04-2009, 01:23 PM

Default summer job, so no vacation! but

I got a job as crew leader of a YCC crew. So as soon as I finish work for the feds, I got straight back to teaching. I'm happy to have a little more income, but I miss the yearly vacation to the smokies. But I am going to take off later in the year and go with possibly just my wife and I. can ya'll help decide between late sept. or late Oct. what are the ups and downs of these times? I won't be able to respond much, but I will try to read all the replies....so help a brother out if you can ....
Old 07-04-2009, 01:49 PM

Late September- Too many leaves in the water in Late October also there is a high number of leaf peepers getting in the way as you drive around!
Old 07-04-2009, 02:25 PM

Either of those would be a good option...just be ready to throw mostly dries in late October because of the leaf issue Kytroutbum mentioned... The weather can potentially be a little more spotty in late October if we get an early cold snap so late September would probably be a little more consistent. Personally I'd do October though for the scenery...I love fall in the park!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-02-2009, 05:00 PM

thanks....still considering what to do. It all depends on vacation time and duck season
Old 08-02-2009, 07:55 PM

Jross--Autumn in the Smokies is a magical time. The weather is as close to stable as it ever gets, and Indian summer (last two weeks of September, first two weeks of October) brings warm days and comfortably cool nights. Just remember that a 1000 foot change in elevation here roughly translates to two weeks difference, and that means you can have anything from the cusp of fall at lower elevations to leaf drop at higher ones. Big browns are beginning to think about reproduciton, fishing is far better in the middle of the day than is the case during the summer, there are fewer people on the streams (can't say the same for the roads, thanks to leaf peepers), and the world of the Smokies is an angler's oyster. As long as you are in the Park it isn't an issue, but keep in mind that in N. C. (outside the Park, of course) bear and og hunting season traditionally opens on Oct. 15. You don't want to be in Nantahala National Forest with fishing on the mind at that time. You'll need to make longer than normal casts, use finer than usual tippets, and have lengthier leaders. Terrestrials are the way to go, with some type of dropper if you wish (or fish two dries, with one of them being a tiny ant pattern and the other a 'hopper you can see). This variation and a 'hopper and a dropper is excellent if you like surface action--and who doesn't? Jim Casada
Old 08-03-2009, 09:35 AM

Default Fall

I'm crazy about late fall and winter in the smoky's-its my favorite time in the park--the snakes have gone "in"-that makes me happy-I hate snakes.