Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-02-2009, 06:24 PM

Default Fishing Fertilize Lake

Does anyone have any suggestions on fly fishing lakes that are fertilized every 5 to 6 weeks? The clarity of the water in the lake I fish is such that you can only see 5 to 6" down. I know August is a horrible time to fly fish on any lake considering the heat and humidity, but when you add the fertilize factor it makes it worst.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:25 PM

I love fly fishing lakes in July and August. The last half hour before dark is the time when poppers work great. I'd say use a fairly large popper and make a lot of noise on the surface with it. If that doesn't work cast it out, let it sit for a few seconds and twitch it every few seconds and then slowly bring it in by just running the line through your fingers so it makes a very slight wake as it's moving across the surface.

I sometimes hang a soft hackle fly about 18" or so below the popper and on some evenings will catch more on the dropper than on the top water.

Man, I do love fishing ponds on summer evenings.

Jeff
Old 08-02-2009, 11:04 PM

I've fished a few rivers that get the algea bloom in late summer during low water conditions. It clouds up the water and gives very little visibility. Lots of phosphates running into the stream from farms and badly designed drainage systems. Much like fishing off colored streams after rains, I would use dark colored flies. Big black poppers or stealth bombers for noise and a dark silhouette. Subsurface would also be something big and dark with lots of movement like a rabbit strip fly with rubber legs and maybe an incorporated 3mm rattle. Summer fishing , I like very early (daybreak) or late evening. You should try going back about midnight and throwing some big topwater flies to the banks!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:01 AM

Default Fertilize Lakes

Will try some of the suggestions you mentioned. That is a great looking bass on the fly. I have been on the net checking to see if fertilizing a lake affects the fish and the way they feed and found that it does not. Although I will admit that when you move into a nook and see the surface water slim green it makes you question the so call experts.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:49 PM

For what it is worth, my pond has very low visibility most of June and July and a lot a vegetation for prortions of the year. I have used streamers and poppers and all and have done well, but when it it gets real heavy with vegetation we put a simple stimulator on the surface in an open area and move it a round a little and it works great, especially befor dark. It is a mixed bag of red ears, bluegills, and younger bass. I have a 7 and 9 year old and they love doing this and it is good practice for them because it is fewer things to concentrate on and less line management. Hope that they will graduate to streams soon. Try it, you might be surprised.