Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-06-2009, 11:21 AM

Default Lightning while fishing?

Here in the Asheville area we had some really nasty thunder storms yesterday and it got me to thinking about fishing under these conditions. I know that anybody with any common sense would go back to their vehicle when a storm hits if they are within range, but what do you guys do in the back country. I have been caught in many bad storms while back backing and fishing and I usually just get out of the water and sit with my head between my legs. I have never really heard this discussed, but I am curious what others do in this situation.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 PM

I always try to find a low spot with some bushes to hunker down in. As long as you stay away from the tall trees you should be okay... On my recent trip to Yellowstone we had a storm blow through while on the river. My buddies had remembered their rain jackets but I forgot mine. I found a large downed tree that was up a few feet off the ground and got under it for some good protection from the elements!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-06-2009, 03:07 PM

Think of the lightning rod. Though not foolproof, lightning, if it approaches the earth surface, generally finds the closest (to it, meaning "highest") contact to become "grounded." Thus, the advice to get to a low point is sound. A graphite fly rod is a great lightning rod, so set it down and get away from it. Standing in the water is bad. Standing at the base of a tall tree, also bad. In the mountains, the creek valley is probably the best place to remain out of the water, though.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:08 PM

The rhodies will keep a lot of water off of you....got caught with a fishing buddy up Fish Camp Prong one time during a nasty storm...found a ledge just above the trail with an overhand....any port in a storm....it was hardly wide enough to stand on and had to lean standing up against the rock face but we were a lot drier than if we had tried to walk out...
Old 08-06-2009, 03:10 PM

They say if all there is are trees around, get near a big one with deep roots. Me, I try and find a clearing and sit away from the big ones and the little ones and lay flat on my back. I guess you could "Google it."
Old 08-06-2009, 05:30 PM

Get out of the water. Get away from the tallest trees, among lower trees. Get away from your rod if it is graphite. Squat down with just the soles of your feet touching the ground and arms tucked in. If you are down in valley, your odds are better than on flat ground. Best bet is if you hear it coming and can do so get back to your car. as far as the cliff face, if it hits anywhere above you on that cliff there is a good chance you'll take your share if you are touching that cliff.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:07 PM

Agree with silvercreek. Squat down and place you weight on the toes of your feet. Don't allow your entire foot to be flat on the ground. It's the same way if you happen to be on a golf course and can't get to shelter.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:04 AM

Exclamation About the Lightening Rod thing!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack M. View Post
Think of the lightning rod. Though not foolproof, lightning, if it approaches the earth surface, generally finds the closest (to it, meaning "highest") contact to become "grounded." Thus, the advice to get to a low point is sound. A graphite fly rod is a great lightning rod, so set it down and get away from it. Standing in the water is bad. Standing at the base of a tall tree, also bad. In the mountains, the creek valley is probably the best place to remain out of the water, though.
Well said Jack!!! True Story.... On a recent redfishing trip in Lousiana we were unable to skirt a building Thunder Storm to get to cover. The storm some miles away started popping pretty frequently...just as we decided to make a run for cover, the fisher on the bow of the boat made a last cast that generated an arc of static electricity that followed the tip of his rod in a streak about 3 feet long.... as his lure hit the water in front of him, we noticed the monofiliment line floating in the air about 4" above the water. Having been fishing in the rain off and on all day, each of were soaked and standing in 2-3" of water in the bottom of the boat. As I was stowing gear for the motor run, I could HEAR the rods in the rod holders against the side of the steering console HUMMING, and could see them vibrating !!!! We snatched them out of the holders, tossed them along the rails and high tailed it to a Gas Platform that we could hide out under.
Curiously as we made for the platform...IT was struck by lightening, figuring that odds were in our favor we continued on to , and under the platform just struck. While sitting under it... three of the periphreal docking platforms were struck around 100 yards from us...not real fun...but far better than the alternative

As far as being in the woods....watch my impersonation of a Rock