Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-09-2009, 03:43 PM

Default Striper info/advice

I'm interested in catching stripers on the fly. The only problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing. I was able to borrow a 9wt from a friend the other day and was able to take my first striper on the fly. He's not so big, but was a blast to catch and burned the drag up on the reel. I'm looking to get into some guys in the 20 lb range.

If anyone if familiar with this type of fishing, I'd be greatly appreciative if you would be willing to share some info or advice. I need info on patterns and techniques. Also, I'm going to be buying a larger rod and am wondering if an 8wt would be too light.

any info is greatly appreciated. my email address is: ttas67@gmail.com

Old 08-09-2009, 08:04 PM

Trevor,
I am ignorant to catching striper; especially on a flyrod. However, I did notice several huge stripers on the Clinch right above the I-75 Bridge where Coal Creek introduces in to the Clinch. I believe a couple were in the 40lb range. I would have pictures of them; but, I am still trying to revive my camera from a wet day...

I would think you would need some kind of large streamer/small trout imitator...
YTB http://www.youtube.com/user/MadisonBoats?feature=mhee
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-09-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttas67 View Post
I'm interested in catching stripers on the fly. The only problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing. I was able to borrow a 9wt from a friend the other day and was able to take my first striper on the fly. He's not so big, but was a blast to catch and burned the drag up on the reel. I'm looking to get into some guys in the 20 lb range.

If anyone if familiar with this type of fishing, I'd be greatly appreciative if you would be willing to share some info or advice. I need info on patterns and techniques. Also, I'm going to be buying a larger rod and am wondering if an 8wt would be too light.

any info is greatly appreciated. my email address is: ttas67@gmail.com
Trevor,
You are fishing the correct water, and I have seen plenty of stripers caught right where you are standing. All I have managed to connect with there are yellows and whites. I was looking at getting an 8-wt with some sinking line for that purpose, but put that on hold until next spring.

I would say that Flat Fly n would be a good person to try and contact for some information. Of course you may have to offer a lunch or some flies in exchange for his knowledge...

I have n

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/
Old 08-09-2009, 10:13 PM

Trevor, there is one local guide I know that has been wearing out the stripers this summer on a couple of local tailwaters. Can't say his name on here but will give you his info. via PM on CFF if you want to set up a trip with him.

Dean Campbell would also be the man to learn from on fishing for stripers around here. Don't think he guides, but he sure knows how to catch them.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:44 AM

shawn--thanks for the info! is it possible to reach this area without a boat?

travis-- I've caught a bunch of whites down there while hunting those stripers. they're fun and put up a surprising fight for their size!

Yes, if Flat or Seagull could offer up some help, I'd definitely offer up my tying services (although neither one of them need it).

Gary-- Thanks for the info, but being a student and lacking any solid income (you know where I work) a guided trip is not a possibility.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 AM

Those white bass are fun to catch. Also, I hear they are good with butter.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttas67 View Post
shawn--thanks for the info! is it possible to reach this area without a boat?
Yes, I have seen guys fish from the bank in this area. I think you would have to get off at the Lake City Exit (#1) and go straight through the intersection. Travel about 3 miles on Bluff Road until it takes a very sharp left and you can see the Interstate Bridge on your right. You could probably park around that area. Also, people get there by going across the small bridge on bluff road and traveling along a small road the runs parallel with the Interstate. Not sure of the exact information. I believe you could use an online map to dial you in to the spot...
YTB http://www.youtube.com/user/MadisonBoats?feature=mhee
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-10-2009, 07:20 PM

Check out the thread from June, http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=12437, for some flyline and technique hints from the Flat and yours truly.

The half moon section of riprap behind you is where I would spend some time (hint), I have been catching fish out of there with the generators off, some within two feet of the rocks. I got a 14 pounder there Friday am, as well as having some unseen monster show me a lot of backing and rudely steal my chicken. He made one of the 90 degree turns I talked about in the other thread. If you hook a nice one there (from the bank), you have a good chance to land it if the gens are off. If they are on, it would be difficult , and there is a chance you could loose your flyline if it heads toward Kingston.

The best way to ctch a twenty pounder is just keep trying!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:21 PM

Default Secrets to big stripers!

TEN WAYS TO CATCH A 20# STRIPER

1. Sink lines.....big sinking sink lines

2. Buy a boat....make sure it runs consistently though. PS...If anyone here is a genius at trailer lights I would gladly trade a repair for a trip.

3. Strong shoulders. Both of Seagull's have been operated on, my right one feels like a compactor grinding away at cinder blocks.

4. Divorced, near divorced, or a mighty understanding woman that gives out lots of yard passes without hesitency.
4-a. Good life insurance policy for said woman.

5. Patience of Job. I don't know the fellow or what he actually did, but he is famous for it. Maybe he was a striper fisherman in the Old Testament?

6. Able to take really weird looks, and cat calls from the bank or REAL striper fishermen in boats without losing your cool and firing back at the locals. Some nights or mornings this only last a few minutes before they trip over their tongues watching us fight some monster.

7. Nerves of steel, or dumber than a rock, somehow knowing that you are fishing in a giant toilet bowl and that you might get flushed down river at a moments notice...or shall I say "subject to change without notice".. PS. There is a secret outlet downstream that flushes as well when a boat decides to come through the locks. Try not to be on that side of the outlet when that happens.

8. Being able to tie flies and knots that work...this might take about 10 years before you really think you have it down. So TTAS67, don't think we're going to give it away on a website for free . At MOST we will charge you a sandwich or maybe a cold beer. That is our tradition. The captain, brings the boat, the "sport" brings the sandwiches, and drinks. Can't break tradition, especially with striper fishing.

9. Luck, Luck and more luck!

10. Above all. Good friends to share passion for loving to cast some nights for nothing except for the sunset or some nights getting your arm ripped out of the socket!

Last edited by Flat Fly n; 08-13-2009 at 12:50 PM..
Old 08-14-2009, 03:21 PM

guys, thank you very much for the advice!

Seagull, I've had a couple of monsters make a complete fool of me in the past few days. My buddy's lamson velocity reel that he let me borrow (along with his 9wt) now has a broken drag system.... I'll leave it at that.

Flat, I like your 10 secrets. I fall in line with most of those (other than no boat). Not married, and I spend an unhealthy amount of time tying flies. I remarked to my fishing buddy that I couldn't believe no one was out fishing on a saturday evening. He said something like, "most people have social lives, you just fish". Oh, yeah, I forgot about that.