Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-10-2009, 02:52 AM

Default Caney Fork float trips- 08/07/09-08/08/09

My dad, brother and I were able to go to the Caney about 2 weeks ago for a float trip. They did ok with their spin rods, but I was having a field day with the long rod. I was catching a fish on nearly every cast, and getting at least one bump per cast. It was crazy! But, I let my brother use my fly rod, and I'm afraid I've created a monster.

He had a ball catching fish on the fly, and bought his own setup. He bought a Scientific Anglers fly rod for $20, used my dad's Martin reel that he rarely uses, and put Orvis Easy Mend line on it. I split the cost of the fly line with him, so he has an excellent setup for under $60. He's so much into fly fishing, he has agreed to split the cost of a vise, materials, and whatever we may need.

Day 1

My grandpa made it into town from WV just in time to head out and go fish. My grandpa, dad, brother, and I got on the water under the dam at about 1:00, only to be greeted by fishermen standing shoulder to shoulder all the way to the steps. There were a couple people fishing at the steps, but NO ONE at the shoals Shocker, I know! Their loss! My brother and I stopped at the shoals to fish as my D&G floated on in the jon boat. We caught a couple fish, nothing too steady or anything of size. Still fun nonetheless.

I did catch a chub, or whatever they're called. He ate my zebra midge, it was in his mouth, no foul hook or anything. When I pulled the midge out, it was covered in algae, so I don't know if he ate my midge covered in algae, or if that algae came out of him... Oh well, that was pretty neat.

We grew bored, and paddled to catch up with the elders. We "docked" our kayaks to "the mothership" and got our lunch out of the cooler We continued on to Lancaster, where we beached and had lunch. We fished for about an hour with zero fish, strikes, or bumps. By then D&G had passed us, keeping the fish down. The sun began to set, and we watched the fog roll in from upriver. This is when the madness began. With the cool fog came an INSANE hatch, fish were rising every 10-15 seconds. This made it easy to key in on fish and cast to them. I caught a mess of fish, and one really muscular 19-20" bow. Dan had trouble finding the fish, but he kept at it. The fog soon became too dense to see into, and we realized we had to make it to Happy Hollow before dark. We paddled like wild men through the fog, flying spider webs, and clouds of insects.

Day 2

We got a later start, but found even more fishermen at the dam, both wading and in boats. They were spread down the river as far as the eye could see. It was difficult to get a line in the water because we were constantly paddling to keep out of the areas that were being fished in. We got down to the shoals, and there was one gentlemen fishing well above us so again, Daniel and I stopped. We fished for about 10 minutes before some drunk people in 2 canoes disrupted our fishing.

About 20 minutes later, the action started picking up again only to be deafened by the roar of an outboard motor from under the dam. We watched this idiot in his bass boat go full throttle and weave through fishermen, knocking them over with his wake. We watched in awe as he approached the shoals, never touching the throttle. I have NEVER been so happy to have my fishing ruined as I was with this guy. I howled with laughter as he ran aground and his exhaust water turned from white to brown I made it a point to laugh hysterically, and bend over clutching my stomach. He got out of his boat, checked everything out, pushed it into deeper water, started his motor, and as he was driving away he apologized for "the wake."

We didn't catch much else, we stopped at Lancaster again but it was nothing like the day before. We each caught about 5-6 more, and that was that. The paddle from Lancaster to Happy Hollow is a killer! I feel ripped But, all in all, it was great family bonding, and yet again, I've not been skunked by the Caney.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:38 AM

Trey

Fantastic, being able to fish with your Brother, Dad & Grandad. I have many fond memories of fishing with mine, do it often.
Whilst my elders have passed on, my brother completely gave up fishing, but he understands my passion for it.
It was nice meeting Dan the other day & seeing the excitement in his eyes while talking about fishing, THUMB UP TO YA!(or whatever the cool thing is in today's time)

Grumpy
Old 08-10-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Trey

Fantastic, being able to fish with your Brother, Dad & Grandad. I have many fond memories of fishing with mine, do it often.
Whilst my elders have passed on, my brother completely gave up fishing, but he understands my passion for it.
It was nice meeting Dan the other day & seeing the excitement in his eyes while talking about fishing, THUMB UP TO YA!(or whatever the cool thing is in today's time)

Grumpy
I definitely enjoy it. Fishing has always been a family thing, and it feels like I've started a fad with fly fishing. All my friends like it more than regular fishing now.