Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-09-2009, 01:47 PM

Default Big Creek and MPLP 8/3 and 8/4

Went fishing up in the Cosby area last week. Fished Big Creek on Monday. Water was up, but was clear and cold (didn't check the temp.). Caught several good fish, all bows. Almost all took my nymph dropper. Wierd day, was several pools that looked to hold good fish produced nothing, not even a nibble, while areas that were marginal turned up the best fish. Great weather for the day all in all, and didn't see another fisherman all day. Did see lots of swimmers at Midnight Hole.
Tuesday I went up and fished the Middle prong of the Little Pigeon. Started about 9 hiking up the Ramsey falls trail and fishing that stretch. WOW!!! The brookies were hungry and aggressive that day. Water was up a bit, but nothing bad. For the first hour and 1/2 I caught a fish on almost every single hole. Caught a mixture of brooks and bows, but more brookies than bows. Caught a big Bow at the tail end of a pool that had a rock overhang. He was sitting underneath that ledge, and he took my nymph (BHPT). As soon as he was on the line I perked up. You know that feeling when you are expecting a small fish, and you get one that you know isn't. That is a feeling I like. Didn't get any pictures up the trail as I left the camera in the truck. I did get some pics later in the day as I went and fished the porters creek confluence up to the 1st bridge. Got lots of medium sized fish there, but it was going on 3:00 and the temps were rising. All bows down there. A great day on the creek.

One question...How far do most people fish up the ramsey's falls trail? I went up about 2 miles right to where the trail narrows, and fished a little up from there, but nothing substantial as I didn't know if the trail left the creek or what. Any thoughts? Anyway enjoy the pics.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:30 PM

Todd did that stretch on Ramsay a while back. Check out my blog for the report. You can fish a ways up there but it gets tiny after about half a mile or so above the junction with middle prong.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 PM

I guess you remembered your camera on the second day. Since we did not catch anything bigger than 7" the first day I guess we did not need it.

I am still waiting to use the Parachute Adams I caught on Big Creek.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:36 PM

Yeah, but I remembered it too late as I wanted to get some pics of the brookies I got that morning.