Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-13-2009, 09:50 AM

Default cherokee

plan to make a run to cherokee for some trophy run fishing this weekend.will be there equiped as usual with my old fishing stuff,and my wife's infamous peanut butter and banana sandwiches.Thinking about hanging a small nymph off a grashopper,tandem style.has anyone ever used a blackbird as a dropper?wonder what is the most appropriate tandem rig for raven f. these days of august?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:37 AM

Two thoughts on what to offer these hatchery-raised fish, and I'm at least semi-serious. Figure out how to tie a fly imitating trout pellets, or develop a corn fly.
Beyond that, I'd suggest trying to get away from the water everyone else fishes (i.e., avoid the big pools where you can see scads of fish and concentrate on pockets, riffles, and hard-to-reach places. You can walk along the trail below the Luftee Visitor Center and do just that.
I might add that while I've done a fair amount of this type of fishing, everywhere from the Sacramento area of California to the Soquee in Georgia and a bunch of private clubs in N. C., I don't find it particularly appealing. I'd far rather deal with wild trout and wild places, although I'll grant you that these Reservation trout are probably getting enough pressure to be moderately difficult. Jim Casada
Old 08-13-2009, 11:48 AM

I got it....tie up a nice egg pattern and put a brown sharpie marker to work....shameless! I heard the other day a fellow was saying he could squeeze a bit of dog food on a small hook not sure what pattern, that makes the sharpie idea sound sporting? I'll take a sweet 10 inch native jewel any day thank you! I gotta say I like the trophy sections though, keeps the natvie streams quiet. Seriously i have fished the trophy section 3 times sticking a bunch of the bruisers which is what it is, try a beadless olive bugger small weighted, or a muddler with weight on the nose and hit the riffles and not the bucket section below that walk bridge.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 08-13-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Boy View Post
I got it....tie up a nice egg pattern and put a brown sharpie marker to work....shameless! I heard the other day a fellow was saying he could squeeze a bit of dog food on a small hook not sure what pattern, that makes the sharpie idea sound sporting?

CB,

You beat me to it.... Pellet pattern below:

http://bentrodmedia.wordpress.com/20...et-has-landed/

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-13-2009, 01:16 PM

Great minds think alike!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 08-13-2009, 07:26 PM

They do take "normal stuff also", I had a huge bow on last April, he took on an EHC size 14 during an afternoon hatch.