Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-10-2009, 11:02 PM

Default Smoky Vacation

The family and I just returned from a 6 day stay in the park. I finally did it; I got a Smoky Slam during this trip. I've never had any success getting a brookie, but we hiked the Chimney Tops trail and I managed a couple. I got the brown at Elmont the first morning. The rainbow, however, eluded me for some time. Strikes, but not hook-ups. I finally got one messing around with the kids in Abrams creek in the Cove campground. This was after losing the largest rainbow I've ever hooked in the park the night before on Abrams at the Falls trailhead. That fish was magnificent, but I lost it just at the net. I think it took about a minute for me to even comprehend what had happened. That fish was 14" if it was an inch. I fought it for about 2 minutes, it was stronger than any fish I've hooked in the park. I've committed the hole and the run to memory, I will never again visit the park without putting a fly through that run. Anyway, I got my rainbow on Saturday morning in the campground, then had several more once we went back to the falls trailhead later that night. Maybe I relaxed since I knew I had the slam already.

Most importantly, my 11 yr old son landed his first trout and is officially HOOKED. I spent most of my time working with him, and on Saturday evening he got one just before dark. Even better than getting my slam. My son is already trying to plan a return trip.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:59 AM

Congrats Greg,
I'll tell you now I've never gotten the Smoky Slam before. I like the way you said you'll never visit again without putting a fly in that run. I can relate to that, some places just always stick in our memory as being that magic spot. I've got a good many places I've committed to memory over the years that always give me a good feeling when I fish them, an almost confident feeling.
Glad you had a nice trip and you've got something to remember it by. Regards, Bran.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 AM

If you had marked that spot where the fish got away with bright yellow crime
tape, the rest of us could keep an eye on that fish until you return.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:35 AM

Greg--Rest assured that the most important part of the trip wasn't the Slam, it was your son's trout. It's a moment he'll never forget. I can still visualize my first trout, caughtnear the Bryson Place on Deep Creek, after the passage of almost 60 years. Jim Casada
Old 08-11-2009, 12:50 PM

Congrats,
I know the feeling of getting your first slam. I got my first a few months ago. It was the first time my buddy every landed a trout on a fly. I'm getting ready to come down again this weekend with my father. This is his first time fishing with a fly rod and first time for trout too. I hope I can get him hooked on both like I am. I hope to have a few pictures of him with his trophies.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:29 PM

Bran: Yep, burned in the memory. The slam was great, but as mentioned by others, secondary to my kiddo getting "hooked". You'll get yours, just keep at it.

Rivergal: It is marked.......it's the hole with the slick rocks and the overhanging rhodie branch!!

Jim: Exactly........the look on his face was priceless. He is a trooper and kept at it; I'm glad there was some payoff in the end.

Indianafly: Just where in Indiana? I'm an Indiana farmboy myself, transplanted to Cincinnati by marriage and career.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:15 PM

I'm in the Columbus area (about an hour south of Andy off of 65). What part of indiana are you from? Do you ever get over to Brookville? My wife is from Greensburg and every once and a while she lets me drop her off at her parents house and I can make my way over there.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM

Default Smoky Trip

Hey Indianafly, I'm from Napoleon, IN........so I am REAL familiar with Greensburg. Yeah, I fish Brookville, some years I get down there more than others. I've been down there a few times this year. I enjoy it, but it certainly can be frustrasting. What we need down there is just one good mayfly so that occasionally I can fish something larger than a size 20!!!