Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-20-2009, 09:46 PM

Coyotes are so invasive. They should be shot on site for the most part. They can and do breed with domesticated dogs. I've seen coyote/sheppard mixes and there is hardly anything quite as scary as a 90lb coyote. At least in Tennessee. They will eat everything they can get their paws on. They've ruined our wildlife management areas in Middle Tennessee for small game. It was bad enough when all we had were the falcon to contend with for small game.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:02 PM

This arguement has been going on a while...

"Viat. Why Sir, I pray, of what Fraternity are you, that you are so angry with the poor Otter?
Pisc. I am a Brother of the Angle, and therefore an enemy to the Otter, he does me and my friends so much mischief; for you are to know, that we Anglers all love one another: and therefore do I hate the Otter perfectly, even for their sakes that are of my Brotherhood."

from

"The Complete Angler"
Pub. 1653

Izaak Walton
Old 08-21-2009, 06:33 AM

I'm scheduled to help out with some electro shocking on the NC side next week. Hopefully we will shock up a mess of otter. I may try to tie bells to their necks.

I really liked rivergal's suggestion of the reintroduction of Indians and buffalo.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
They are putting it back THE WAY IT WAS. In other words: It works with otters in the mix. They've only been gone a few decades. That isn't even a tick on the time scale to those mountains. ALL of their natural predators are still in place. It won't change a thing except for the fact that we will get to see the mountains the way they are supposed to be before we came in and screwed it all up.
That will never be,as has been noted there ain't gonna be any buffalo herds roaming around,and if what I've read and seen signs of,there were thousands,you can't put it back "the way it was"....you even agree with that about the coyotes....the balance is off nowadays.
I think we can all agree to disagree...our hearts seem to be in the right places and so it seems to be with the folks who want it the way it was by reintroducing species that were eliminated.
We were born in the wrong time to see the real pristine wilderness.
Man has royally screwed up things and still will because he plays God.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:16 AM

We can use some of that stimulus money to hire people to put bells on otters. People employed. Fish protected.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:52 AM

Hey everyone, I haven't been motivated to post anything since I moved to eastern NC in June. But this one got me. Even though I'm sure some will wish I'd kept my opinion to myself.
I grew up fishing mountain streams in the Rockies. There were otters, mink, and big old fishers. I still caught fish. Big fish. Big cuts.
The otters will not kill all the fish. Three years ago I caught a fish in Abrams from a stretch of river that had freshly chewed crawdad legs on the shore. I could see otters downstream as I landed the fish. Saying that the existence of otters will mean the destruction of fishing would be like claiming the existence of bears would mean the destruction of deer hunting. It just doesn't pan out.
Besides, I like having all kinds of critters running around the woods.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:00 PM

You are being way too reasonable Brian. Don't you know you probably caught the last fish in that pool on lower abrams. I bet if you went down there today you wouldn't catch anything

By the way your location tag still says Maryville, TN. Wherabouts in easter NC are you living now? Just wondering cause I live in Maryville and my mom lives in New Bern.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:17 PM

Crockett,
I think this may be the first time ever someone has accused me of being reasonable. I'm a little south of New Bern in Cape Carteret. I haven't done any fishing here yet, but I'm butted up against the Croatan National Forest, and there seems to be a good number of deer in there.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:00 PM

Brian,

Good to hear from you after so long, Bud. Look forward to when you can get back to this area on a more regular basis.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-21-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
We can use some of that stimulus money to hire people to put bells on otters. People employed. Fish protected.
This is obviously a man of vision. Perfect solution. Now if we could just design an air rifle that will hurl non-lethal otter bell shot we'll be in business. Possible modified paintball gun.