Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-21-2009, 04:39 PM

Default Oconaluftee River Map Published

Now available is a new map of the Oconaluftee River and its tributaries (see update notes below). It is a portion of the earlier Tuckaseege River system map, which will be phased out soon. The format of this particular map will serve as a template for planned upgrades to the ones previously published and for others yet to come. Enhancements include more topos and highlighting of streams purported to hold native trout. The web site will be updated shortly to show the addition of the map. Your comments and suggestions are always welcomed.

JF

02-15-2012 Update: Deleted map link previously posted.

09-13-2009 UPDATE: Map has been redone. Please refer to new thread on the subject begun 9/13/09.
10-18-2009 UPDATE: Previously this and other maps were available for free viewing, but you can still view for free the Little River map.
11-18-2009 UPDATE: All four maps published to date can now be viewed for free.
07-03-2010 UPDATE: Highlighting of streams is now reserved for the premium versions of maps, the first of which is due to be printed soon.

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-15-2012 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Changed download type back to PDF
Old 08-21-2009, 06:27 PM

JoeFred--Another splendid job. I haven't had time to peruse the map in detail, although I will. This is territory I know about as well as any in the Park. I'm picky as a irritable widow woman, but I don't really see anything wrong at first blush other than that you had an improper spelling for Tuckasegee in the body of your e-mail. That's probably just a slip of the finger, something I do all the time and don't really take follow-up time to correct in a forum format. Besides that, the old way of spelling it was Tuckaseigee, and since it is a Cherokee word meaning "moves slow, like a mud turtle," transliteration is just a guess anyway
Two or three other bits of trivia:
1. Balsam Corner Creek was known as Kaiser (or Kayser) Creek throughout my boyhood and beyond.
2. Kephart Prong was known as Mud Creek, quite possibly because of its propensity to cloud up quickly for years after the construction work around Newfound Gap. That same work exposed Anakeesta Rock and made a hatchery on lower Kephart Prong an abject failure.
3. Minnie Ball Branch (which holds trout) takes its name not from a person but from the minie ball (a Civil War skirmish was fought here).
This kind of stuff may be of limited interest to most, but place names, changes in names, and highly localized history all intriuge me.
That brings me to one other thought. Those of you who enjoy mountain history ought to get hold of a book entitled Dorie: Woman of the Mountains. She lived on both the Luftee drainage and in the lumber camps around Elkmont, and the book's full of stuff like coming up with a dishpan will of tiny specks when she went to the creek to get water for cleaning up. Jim Casada
Old 08-21-2009, 09:32 PM

Joe Fred, you are a map makin' machine! Thanks a million. These maps are great!

Thank you, Jim, for eagerly sharing some of your knowledge of our mountains' heritage.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

as a sidelight, jim, a guy i work with's grandmother was dorie's sister.......or something like that
Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
This kind of stuff may be of limited interest to most, but place names, changes in names, and highly localized history all intriuge me.
That brings me to one other thought. Those of you who enjoy mountain history ought to get hold of a book entitled Dorie: Woman of the Mountains.

Thank you for the maps, great tools for part timers like myself who get limited fishing time in the park.

Jim keep the stories, local knowledge and history coming. I enjoy it.