Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-16-2009, 05:33 PM

Default Weekend in Elkmont

So we made it to our camp spot in elkmont after a detour due to the rock slide. I fished alone for two days saw three bears one was little cub that was tiny, we also had a coyote run right by my truck late on friday night, rangers said they are having a problem with em right now. So it was the usual trip a good number of bows, browns, chubs, and fat tubers love those guys, So on Sat night i decided to fish the loop section around Sec G/H where we camped, I had just fished it with my girlfriend who was on the bank taking pics or reading? So we madfe it back to camp and I had a beer, waited till about 7:30 and went back to fish it one more time, I made my way out on the river this time alone, I was tossing a big hopper with a green weenie dropped of it. I made my second cast and the hopper sunk, I raised the rod and instantly new I had a big fish, and i knew I had stuck him well. It was not really a big fight and within a few seconds i was holding a 18 inch fat brown, I measured him with a small tape and quickly released the trophy, what a pretty fish, I figure he is the third largest brown I have taken in the park. No pics of any of my big browns? which I regret oh well. I will say that having caught three park browns 18 inches or bigger I have yet to have one really fight? It is almost like they just wallow around and quickly are taken? Anyone else had that with big park browns? the small ones both browns and bows tend to go nuts? Oh well great weekend!
Tight lines

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 08-17-2009, 01:15 AM

You may have caught the same fish I caught back in August 2007 in the G/H section of Elkmont. I caught him on a Green Weenie too. I released him, he grabbed my fly 2 hours later released him, caught him one more time unintentionally before he received his Ph.D in recognizing a green thing floating by. He was 13 inches...There's not tons of fish bigger than this at Elkmont.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 AM

Really wouldn't surprise me if it was, I got to think he has been through the whole I got hooked thing, if not he didn't really seem that worried, a fish that size would typically not be happy, He came right in. He just can't resist that green weenie!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 08-17-2009, 10:19 AM

Sweet catch. I love fishing a green weenie under a grasshopper pattern!
Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 PM

Okay, I give. What is the G/H section of Elkmont? I've fished there several times and didn't know it had been divided into discrete segments.
Thanks
Jedidiah
Old 08-22-2009, 08:48 AM

GH refers to one of the camping loops at Elkmont. If you go to recreation.gov and then to the Elkmont online reservation site you will see a map of the campground. GH is the upper section of the campground.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:46 AM

Default Green Weenie

Thanks, CarolinaBoy,
I didn't know what a green weenie was, so after reading your post I did a search, tied some and caught a bunch of trout and even a few big bluegill on the Caney Fork yesterday.
It pays to try new ideas.
William
Old 08-24-2009, 07:52 AM

Yea it would seem that the Green Weenie is the counterpart to spin fishing's rooster tail...everything eats em!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)