Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 AM

Default Day on the Caney

I fished the Caney yesterday afternoon. Only my third trip to the river in years since I sorta gave up on the river. Totally new stream from what it was, and I am paying my dues to learn the river again. Caught a whole bunch of government issue 6 to 8 inches browns with only one pushing 12 inches. Caught two 8 inch bows and one 8 inch brookie. The brookie looked better than I expected. I fished a modification of my MacGnat midge emerger and it seems to work well. Saw a fellow fly fisher catch what appeared to be a nice one while working some logs. Was that you wm1miller? It was a good day. saw a deer on the way back to the car and a chipmunk. Nice to see a little wildlife as a plus to the fishing.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:26 AM

Default That was me!

Those logs have been good to me this year.

Yes, there is a lot of wildlife. Yesterday alone I saw an otter, a mink and seven dear.

By the way, that otter lives in amongst those logs and doesn't seem to bother my fishing. Of course, the TWRA provides a steady diet for him with stockers. He doesn't bother with the big guys.

William
Old 08-25-2009, 09:42 AM

William, just downstream of you there was a big one moving in the stained water right off the bank. I saw him come up a couple of times, but all I had with me were midges and it was iffy that he would take a midge. You may have noticed me wading to try to get an angle on him so I could cast into the slack water across the faster flow. He probably heard me crunching gravel. I could not get the angle I needed in the waist high waders, so I backed off. Just something for you to file away for the next time you are there.