Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-25-2009, 11:47 AM

Default Recommend areas to try over Labor Day weekend?

Going to be staying in Townsend with family over Labor Day weekend and looking to find some areas to slip off to for a few mornings or evenings of fishing. I suspect the crowds are going to be out in force, so if you don't mind sharing a tip or two, even by PM is fine, it would be appreciated. I've fished in the Park some, Metcalf, Elkmont a little, Tremont just a little, but don't mind a good walk to get to more secluded waters. Any good trails to some overlooked part of the moderate-sized streams? Any tips on fishing up higher?
Thanks,
Jedidiah
Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 PM

Jedidiah--You might try Roaring Fork (lots of people but not so many anglers), Cosby Creek, Road Prong, or the more remote portions of the West Prong of the Little River. You'll be around crowds wherever you go, but the vast majority will likely be gawkers, not gung-ho fishermen. Jim Casada
Old 08-25-2009, 02:45 PM

If you are gonna head that way in the park i would suggest using the park access off of Wears Valley Road. If you are unfamiliar with it email me, or call LRO they can tell you, cuts a ton of tourist traffic that generates from the "Y"
bmurphy055@gmail.com

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 08-25-2009, 03:14 PM

Dawgvet,

My recommendation is that wherever you fish, hit the water as early as possible. If you can be at a stream and ready to fish by 7:00 before anyone else is fishing already, you'll catch fish wherever you go. If you fish water that doesn't have a trail running along side it, you will know you're the only one in there.