Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-02-2009, 01:45 PM

Default Tellico River - Saturday 9/5/09- First Timer...

I'm going camping this weekend in Tellico Plains and was going to go fishing on the Tellico. Any ideas on what area to hit and what would be some good flies to try?

Thanks!
Greg DeBord
Knoxville.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:54 PM

Are you staying at the KOA?
If so, are you fishing between town and River Road?
Or above river road?
Old 09-02-2009, 03:02 PM

Yes, I'm staying at the KOA. I'll fish anywhere... I don't have any specific plans yet. I figured I would go up to the road off the skyway that goes to the hatchery. Is that River Road? I figured it might be quieter up there, but it really doesn't matter much to me. I've been fishing a couple years, but not a lot so I'm hoping to just catch some fish. How far down the river do the trout go? Are they all the way down to the KOA? I'll be either fishing off the bank or wading...

Greg
Old 09-02-2009, 03:24 PM

The water will actually be more peaceful below the Tellico ranger station on River Road. The trout will not be as plentiful, but there will probably be some trout down there that have survived the gauntlet known as "the day after stocking day". You will also have a better chance of catching holdover fish down there.

From the ranger station to the hatchery & beyond, you will see increasing numbers of spinning rods, corn, trebble hooks, & dough balls. It almost becomes un-wadeable due to all the rapalas swimming in front of you. In the morning, nearly every roadside pull off will likely be taken.

This is just my opinion, i know there are some on this forum who like to fly fish up toward the hatchery.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:35 PM

I thought they quit stocking Tellico River at the end of August, but I could be
confused about this. I usually fish from above Turkey Creek to the state line.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:53 PM

I think you are right rivergal, I believe August 23rd was the last stocking day.

Although the river might have the same pressure being labor day weekend.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:01 PM

I may not fish Saturday. Seems like there was something I was going to watch on tv.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:11 PM

Rivergal...LSU doesn't play Washington until 9:30 on ESPN. You have plenty of time to fish!

BTW, the TWRA guide does show that the last stocking day is August 23. It also says that Thurs/Fri fishing is not allowed thru Sept 15...odd. Why would you not allow Thurs/Fri fishing after you quit stocking? The delayed harvest season kicks in on Oct 1.

If you're fly fishing, the North River is usually good...especially if its crowded on the Tellico. The Bald River up by Holly Flats is a good place to try.

I don't have specific recommendations for flies other than the standard fare I usually take up there...parachute Adams, Royal/Tennessee/Carolina Wulffs, Elk Hair Caddis, Stimulators. Don't forget the nymphs...Tellico, pheasant tail and hare's ear. Others might have a better idea as to what they been keying on lately.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll head toward the Ranger Station and fish below it for a while and then maybe try above it. It'll be nice just getting to fish....

Greg
Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 PM

Looks like I'll have to hit it another day... I cancelled the camping trip cause the wife went into A-fib. I took her to the hospital last night, and she convert back to normal this morning, but is very tired. Her heart rate ran from anywhere from 80 to 140 that I saw on the monitor and that was after they gave her medicine to slow it down. Anyway, maybe I can go either one morning or one evening next week.

Thanks again for the advice.
Greg