Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-31-2009, 04:39 PM

Default Cosby creek info

Hate to ask for only my second post, but here goes. We have rented a cabin on Cosby approx 2 miles from campground or so owner tells us. Just wanted to know what to expect. Cosby is noted as HS will it be fished out or are holdovers common ? I will be trying Cosby above campground myself, just built a 6'-6" 4pc 2wt for just this type of creek. But my little girl(23) wants me to teach her to flyfish so was hoping Cosby in front fo cabin may still hold a few ? any suggestions appreciated.
thanks Fishhead
p.s. will be there mid-September
Old 08-31-2009, 05:05 PM

Default in front of the cabin???

Fishhead,
I'm not sure just where the cabin that you're staying in is located, but if there are not any fish right in front of it or real close by, there will be fish up and down the creek if you get out and fish longer stretches of it. There should be a mixture of wild fish and stockers in that 2 mile stretch and the closer to the Park Boundry that you get, the more natives you will see. Don't neglect to fish Indian Camp Creek outside of the Park if you have the time. It is real close by and a good one. You may want to ask permission to fish certain stretches outside of the Park. The natives are real friendly and they almost always say yes. Good luck.
Hugh
Old 08-31-2009, 05:24 PM

Fishhead--Hugh's advice and insight is squarely on target. One of the things I've found interesting about a number of streams which are partly in the Park and partly outside (Cosby Creek, Deep Creek, Cooper Creek, West Prong of the Little Pigeon, etc.) is that the fishing in the "state" portion is often better than the lower reaches of the Park portion. Why? Because once locals have hammered the dough bellies (stocked trout) they pretty well leave the water be, and outsiders almost always focus on the Park. Good luck. Jim Casada
Old 08-31-2009, 07:52 PM

Really would'nt fish Cosby unless the Mountains have had a good spot of rain. I fished the area in mid July and the water in Cosby was almost as low as last year. Go high up 441
Old 08-31-2009, 10:17 PM

Fishead, you can get back on I-40 via Foothills Parkway and go east to the Waterville exit just before you enter North Carolina ( probably 30 minute drive) when you get off at Waterville cross the bridge on your right and follow the road to Big Creek which is in the GSMNP. BEAUTIFUL creek plenty of open water. If you walk up the creek a mile or so you will probably be past the picnickers and sightseers. Water is "crystal" clear so you'll have to use your best approaching skills.............GOOD LUCK P.S. - you can fish both N.C. and Tn. with either liscense while you are in the park
Old 09-01-2009, 10:50 PM

I would have to piggy-back off of the advice others have said. Cosby not going to be good, but there are great streams nearby. The other creeks that have been mentioned are great, but I feel I must put my 2 cents in for Greebriar. Not too far from Cosby (just south in 321) and the drive is easy and quick. Greenbriar (Middle Prong of the Little Pigeon) has some great water for beginner fisherwomen. Parts near the ranger station are open and good for wading mid-stream. Course you can also go upstream and find some good pools and such. Wherever you go, I hope your daughter has a good time. That is the best hope for us all....to pass the love down to the next generation. I have a few years before my son can go with me, but I look forward to those days!! Enjoy.

Oh...and if you like Mexican food and good mountain music, you HAVE to go to the Front Porch Restaurant in Cosby (link below)

http://discovercosby.com/_dine/fronporc.htm

Best of luck
Todd
Old 09-02-2009, 07:55 AM

thanks for all the recommendations, this will be my first time in this area, hopefully not my last. I fish Cataloochee and it's tribs some and the wild water over here in the Wilson creek area. I hope to take my daughter to the Tuck this spring for some stockers to really get her cranked up. But also want her to know it's not always about catching.
thanks Fishhead
Old 09-06-2009, 09:23 PM

fishhead,
i do not know where your cabin is on cosby creek, but if you fish the first mile of water outside the park, starting at liberty rd. you should be able to catch some good fish. i fished that section one morning in july. caught around 12 bows, the smallest a wild 6 incher and the rest 10-12 inch stockers. some stockers had been there long enough to color up really nice and fight well.