Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-07-2009, 08:46 AM

Default Caney Fork temps

I've been watching the water temps on the Caney Fork using the river gages site that William Miller was kind enough to pass along. From the high temps in the low 70's the first of August the water temps measured at Stonewall have been steadily declining. That should be producing some better fishing lower in the river. Anyone have any personal fishing experience lately in that area?
Old 09-08-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
I've been watching the water temps on the Caney Fork using the river gages site that William Miller was kind enough to pass along. From the high temps in the low 70's the first of August the water temps measured at Stonewall have been steadily declining. That should be producing some better fishing lower in the river. Anyone have any personal fishing experience lately in that area?
have not fished it but once. and that was a month ago. and it stunk for me. only 3 trout all day and we floated from stonewall to carthage.

now two weeks ago we did a two day float. the 2nd day was from kirby to stonewall. and the fishing seems to slow alot that far down.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:55 PM

Default Caney Report

Hey SilverCreek!
I fished Betty's Island this morning.

Let me preface my report with this information:
1) I basically was throwing streamers for Mr. Big Brown.
2) I assume that the area was fished really hard the last three days.
3) It must have really rained last night because the water was "very" muddy; it looked awful.
4) I don't think that they have stocked recently.
5) The water temperature was 62 degrees.
6) So, my expectations were not as high as normal. Maybe a 7 on a scale of 10. (They never get below 5 by the way; I am an eternal optimist.)

All that being said; I had a great morning.
1) I caught the biggest Brook Trout that I have ever caught anywhere; 14 inches and very chunky.
2) I hooked and played for several minutes, what was probably the biggest brown that I have ever hooked. He stayed deep, made several runs up and down stream, then I made the mistake of letting him circle around me and as he came around and to the down stream side, he came up, rolled (that's where I saw that it was a brown), and was off my hook. I could not see how long he was because of the muddy water, but he was thick. Was I disappointed? Yes, a little; but it was still a huge thrill.

As far as what else was happening; it was very slow. That is the bad news. The good news is the the few fish that I saw caught were BIG fish.

So, the bottom line is: If you want quantity, it is not good.
Looking for quality fish, it is fishing great.

That is my report from Betty's Island.

Oh, one other note: Betty's Island Bridge is now completed. You can go directly across the river towards Lancaster and the dam from Betty's.

William
Old 09-08-2009, 03:12 PM

William, thanks for the report. Sorry you lost that big brown, but I bet it was a thrill to have him on. Maybe you'll get him next time. Silvercreek