Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Default Source of info on the cabins/lodge/hotel in Elkmont?

I've hiked and fished throught Elkmont several times but always been curious as to the history of the individual cabins, the Appalachian Clubhouse, and the Wonderland Hotel in Elkmont. Does anyone know of a good source of info on the individual buildings like which cabin belonged to whom and when they were built, etc? How do you get to the Appalachian Clubhouse and the hotel from the campground? I know they plan on restoring or preserving some of the buildings but I would like to find out more about this interesting area.
Thanks,
Jedidiah
Old 09-08-2009, 02:17 PM

Dawgvet, lately I have been reading up on the history of cades cove (specifically civil-war era), but before that, I read some about Elkmont during the logging years. You might pick up a copy of "Last train to Elkmont" for some detailed history of the area, as well as a great read.

Also, you might find this site helpful...http://home.earthlink.net/~tnhiker/l...tive/id43.html
Old 09-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Dawgvet--While it won't help you with the club and buildings, if you are interested in Elkmont-area history in general get hold of a copy of Florence Cope Bush, Dorie: Woman of the Mountains. Although it is scholarly in nature, Margaret Brown's The Wild East, which she calls a "biography" of the Park, has considerable information on Elkmont as well as source citations. You might also want to look at Robert Madden and T. R. Jones, Mountain Home, Daniel Pierce, The Great Smokies: From Natural Habitat to National Park, and, for a cantankerous view but one which has some excellent points, Lee Roberson's Sins of the National Park Service in the Great Smokies. Another post mentioned Last Train to Elkmont, and another good book on area railroads is Ronald Schmidt and William Hooks, Whistle Over the Mountain. This is a history of the Little River Lumber Company. Depending on just how deep you want to dig, there's a 25-page bibliographical essay in my book. Once you reach that point, your next step is to visit a major research collection (the two best ones on the Park are at the University of Tennessee and Western Carolina University). I also feel fairly certain that columnists such as Sam Venable and Harvey Broome have covered Elkmont in the Knoxville paper at some point over the years. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-08-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgvet View Post
How do you get to the Appalachian Clubhouse and the hotel from the campground? I know they plan on restoring or preserving some of the buildings but I would like to find out more about this interesting area.
Thanks,
Jedidiah
At the end of july they had a fence around the Appalachian Clubhouse and it looked like they were working on the outside. Drive past the campground, over the bridge, past little river trail, at the top of the hill turn right, the Clubhouse is the last building on the left near the bottom of the hill.
The hotel (wonderland), go down river from the campground. When you get to the big left hand curve in the road, look for the stone steps going up the hill, stop and park. Go up the steps, the top of the hill is wonderland. The hotel is no longer standing.