Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-13-2009, 01:43 AM

Default Luftee River & Tribs Map PDF Now Downloadable for Printing

2-15-2012 Update: Deleted map image & link previously posted.

8-29-2010 UPDATE: A basic version of this map can be downloaded free as a PDF, but not printed.

The Oconaluftee River drainage map has had yet another makeover, but now, at long last... it's the first of the maps that can be purchased as a printable PDF for immediate download via the web site.
10-18-2009 UPDATE : Previously this and other maps were available for free viewing, but you can still view for free the Little River map.
11-18-2009 UPDATE: All four maps published to date can now be viewed for free.

Changes were made to make the map easier to read when printed at smaller sizes by going to a white background and secondly, because we now have access to Jim & Don Casada's fantastic stream graphs in the new book, by showing only the 1,000 feet interval topo contours. The increased white space will better enable jotting notes on the maps. Other changes include 1) more exact highlighting of waters said by park fisheries to hold native (brook) trout, 2) color-coding of waters within the Cherokee Indian Qualla Boundary, and, lastly, reformatting so that one of these days, perhaps, preprinted and folded versions will fit nicely in gloveboxes, vests and backpacks.

7/3/2010 UPDATE: Highlighting of waters said to hold brook trout is now reserved for the premium maps, the first of which is due out soon.

Byron, again, I really appreciate your permitting me to share the maps and related news with members and guests of this great message board.

Comments/suggestions are always welcome.

JoeFred

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-15-2012 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: To help protect the wellbeing of the waters, etc.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:34 AM

Really impressive work Thanks for making these available.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:40 PM

JoeFred--Great stuff! The "green lining" derived from the Park's map of speck waters is a real plus, as is the alphabetical listing of streams. Two thoughts (and I"m mighty good at suggesting more work. First, it would be useful to know which of the many little feeders you list hold trout. In that regard, no one has done more research than Bobby Kilby, whom I mention frequently in my book. Conversely, I suspect he would find your map and listings quite useful. If you'll e-mail me (jimcasada@comporium.net) I'll try to put the two of you in touch with one another.

Second, I guess I had never studied the speck waters map in quite the detail I should have. I've never caught a speck in Collins Creek (shown as speck water after first mile or so) but the biggest speck I ever saw caught in the Park (just under 13 inches)was taken at the mouth of Mingus Creek. Mind you that was a half century ago and things do change, but my educated guess is that there are still some of these jewels in the headwaters. I know for a fact, based on experiences in each of the last two years, that there are specks lower down on Straight Fork than the map shows. None of this is a criticism of you, just observations on the Park map.

Once you have all the Park covered this way, any angler who hasn't already done a great deal of work, study of topo maps, and "field research" will need to have all of your maps. I doubt if you'll ever make much money, but yours is a wonderful labor of love. Full marks!!

Jim Casada

www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-13-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
Really impressive work Thanks for making these available.
Thanks, Silvercreek. I'm enjoying the pursuit, but have been slowed down some since I now have a part-time day job... but that's a good thing. I'm getting paid.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
...it would be useful to know which of the many little feeders you list hold trout. In that regard, no one has done more research than Bobby Kilby, whom I mention frequently in my book... If you'll e-mail me... I'll try to put the two of you in touch with one another.

... I've never caught a speck in Collins Creek (shown as speck water after first mile or so) but the biggest speck I ever saw caught in the Park was taken at the mouth of Mingus Creek. Mind you that was a half century ago and things do change, but my educated guess is that there are still some of these jewels in the headwaters. I know for a fact, based on experiences in each of the last two years, that there are specks lower down on Straight Fork than the map shows...

Once you have all the Park covered this way, any angler who hasn't already done a great deal of work, study of topo maps, and "field research" will need to have all of your maps. I doubt if you'll ever make much money, but yours is a wonderful labor of love. Full marks!!
Jim, I sent you my e-mail address.

I wish I could say I've caught (or even spotted) a speck in Collins Creek. In addition to the Park map indicating it, Ian Rutter suggests in his book they are there as did Don Kirk back when.

Your guess that there are still some of the jewels in the Mingus Creek headwaters is plenty good enough for me. I've just now highlighted and uploaded file. I also highlighted Straight Fork further down.

Thanks!!