Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-11-2009, 04:56 PM

Default Deep Creek or Smokemont?

Folks -
Planning a car camping trip for the week of Oct. 19th (most of it anyway) and am wondering which campground, Deep Creek or Smokemont, folks would recommend for that time of year.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:28 PM

All of Smokemont is table flat. Deep Creek stair steps up a ridge, although the campsites themselves are flat. I think Deep Creek may have a little more privacy between sites. Smokemont is just off Hwy 441 giving you easier access to other areas of the park. You can buy a shower just outside the park at Deep Creek. I'm not sure where the closest place might be for Smokemont. Grocery store and restaurants are several miles closer at Deep Creek.

Guess it all depends on what's important to you.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:19 PM

Old Tom -
Thanks for weighing in. The most important thing to me is to be reasonably close to 3 or 4 days of fishing a variety of water. Showers are very low on the priority list as are restaurants. I suspect that I might need to grab a bag or two of ice though.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 PM

Easy now, smokemont is right on the lufftee full of bid browns and that is prime brown trout time, grocery in Cherokee not 6-7 minutes away, plus you got the new trophy section on the Raven not 5 minutes away. Easy choice if you ask me...but then again I stuck a 22 (sweet hook jawed male) and 20 inch brown about that time of year 2 falls ago beofre the drought.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 09-12-2009, 06:08 AM

Agree with Carolina Boy. Deep Creek offers Deep Creek of course and Noland is about 10 minutes away. Everything else is at least a half hour drive. Smokemont offers Bradley Fork and its tribs, all the others he mentioned plus a host of smaller steams to explore, all within 10 minutes.

Since fishing is your number one priority, invest in Jim's new book. http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=12817
Old 09-12-2009, 08:40 AM

Don't forget Straight Fork either at the end of Big Cove road. All three species can be caught easily.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old tom View Post
Since fishing is your number one priority, invest in Jim's new book. http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=12817

The book is on the way

Thanks for the advice, looks like I'll be at Smokemont.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschlemm View Post
Folks -
Planning a car camping trip for the week of Oct. 19th (most of it anyway) and am wondering which campground, Deep Creek or Smokemont, folks would recommend for that time of year.

Thanks in advance!
pschlemm--Previous posts have pretty well covered the key issues. I will add a couple of thoughts. Deep Creek is my home water but overall it cannot compare to what you have close at hand at Smokemont. It does have one easily accessible feeder, Indian Creek, which is well worth the attention of anyojne who likes small streams and lots of bows.
At Smokemont you have Bradley Fork, Chasteen Creek within a mile or so of walking, Luftee a few hundred yards away, Beech Flats Prong, Kephart Prong, and, with a reasonable drive, Straight Fork. Also, you are only 30-45 minutes from Walker Camp Prong and Road Prong. Nor should you overlook Kanati Fork if you want to catch some specks. For a Smoky Mountain Slam (speck, brown, and bow) both Beech Flats Prong and Straight Fork are excellent choices. In short, I'd opt for Smokemont. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-13-2009, 01:24 AM

Boy o' Boy I tell ya what i was kinda hesitant to say what i did because I respect Mr. Casada so much and I sorta felt weird saying I would opt for Smokemont versus Deep Creek considering that is his backyard!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 09-14-2009, 11:06 AM

Smile Smokemont

I'm gonna be a Smokemont this weekend and hope to post a good report by early next week. Hope the rain holds off. Tight lines everyone.