Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-16-2009, 09:08 AM

As for the cold snaps...my suggestion is to sleep in a little later and just wait for the sun to hit the water and then fish on as usual....it has got to get really cold to effect the water long term...the fish are generally too busy trying to eat to notice and it doesn't stay cold for that long.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 PM

jross or carolinaboy, How does anthony creek fish in the middle of October? Any thoughts on this creek, anyone?? flyguys
Old 09-16-2009, 09:36 PM

Well i mean it is a small creek, I am no authority on it by any means but i mean i would think it would be alright but my brain kinda looks decent size lower elevated water in spring, a bit higher in the summer, and then lower bigger water in the fall. I mean you'll get some fish there I am sure but man how can you ignore big brown water in the fall in the park, has to be your best bet at a real trophy, adn i have been luck to stick a few and i just get fired up around the fall, it's just different, to me it kinda follows the temperature, when the spring comes i am itchin to get outside and fish when my guides don't freeze up, although the tailwaters can be Freakin Awesome when it is spittin snow and miserable, gosh I just love it all, so the fish get all excited as it warms and your hangin out watchin a bunch of fish rise and you know whatever you catch a bunch it's fun it can be relaxing and this feeling lasts throught the summer and it's great. But then you get that hint of fall in the air, the nights get crisp and leaves start changin, man to me that means it is time to put away the thoughts of a zillion fish rising to everything and really start thinking about the game and the season at hand. BIG BROWNS. I am a huge fan of a 4 inch Spec as much as anyone but stick a 20 inch brown in the park and from my view you have really arrived. i by no means want to sound cocky, heck I literally spent a good year trying to catch "A" fish in the park when i started many moons ago talk about frustrating. So to bring it back around, depending on water levels of course, in mid October i am thinkin bigger lower elevation water, because browns are in the elevation (mixed on both ends of course) between where smallies stop and bows begin. from there i am think large bugs, love em, big ol nasty bead headprince nymph with rubber leds everywhere lot of lead. I am looking for lazy spots where the big boys hang to ambush, be on the bank when it is still dark out ready to hit it when it's legal the brown boys/girls can see better in low light than there counterparts and they feel more confidant when it ain't hi noon, catch up on sleep then, and back again the last few hours of the day till no longer legal to fish. This kinda fishing is more a hunt, I mean think about it how many fish would you trade for a true trophy park fish? despite the fact that specs are the only true native, and they aren't even really trout (char) you stick a really big park brown you are talking about a century of passed down species intelligence, man only the smart ones get big enough to breed so there ain't no big "D" students out there! I know I got long winded but i really dig the fall brownfishing, my focus changes and i let up on myself when it comes to the manner in which i evaluate my performance on the water from a pure numbers standpoint. I guess it kinda mirrors the pursuit of steelhead or permit, lots of persistance but the reward is worth it trust me. When i do talk about my experiences fishing the park my first thoughts are of the golden colored hook jawed browns, not the fifteenth bow or spec in a 30 fish day back in... when was that? I can tell you exactly when and where I was lucky enought to hold a few really big browns, and then get to watch them swim away healthy, albeit with a soar lip, to make more future beasts! This is gonna be my longest post but i just really get fired up about this kind of fishing, and why wouldn't you browns get bigger than all the other guys in the park for one reason, they eat everything! I have already talked way to much but there is still a few beers left in cooler so whatever! OK so when you look at the appalachian mountains they are soft and rounded due to their extremely old age versus the rockies out west that are young and jagged as can be. So the erosion over zillions of years has worn away a great deal of the nutirents and minerals that errode into the streams. SO due to this the fish in the park that have grown the biggest are the browns because they eat stuff that has exo-skeletons, crawfish and sculpins and many other small fish that got bones etc.. so they aren't just sipping bwo's and micro midges, they are hammering freaking everything HA i love it. To me they give away a lot of their tendancies if you as the anger pay attention. Big fat Lazy Monsters that eat everything pretty much sums it up. So after writing a small book I would say that i would not fish A-Creek in Mid-late Oct. wait check that, fish it during the middle of the day on your trip! Get on the water early as possible on bigger water and scout spots for the evening session, then A-creek if you want mid day and back in evening places that looked good from the early am. Bet that was a bit more of an answer than expected! Flyguys If you want to chat more about patterns etc shoot me an email bmurphy055@gmail.com, good luck hope you have a great trip now i gotta go pack and hook up skiff the for a redfish trip/tourney this weekend! which just got me thinking and i looked something up for ya, mid Oct is new moon on Oct 18th which is great for you,Dark moon!!! Target browns at first & last light! Good luck Stick em!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"

Last edited by Carolina Boy; 09-16-2009 at 11:28 PM..
Old 09-17-2009, 08:45 PM

carolina boy, It seems that I should be targeting browns. I hope we each catch a quality fish. Thanks for all the info! Hopefullt we'll be able to post a few pictures on the forum. As usual i'm sure my son will outfish me.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:00 PM

Well good luck, nothing makes me happier than when my Dad outfishes me! I am down here back home in SC when I get back to NC I'll post a pic of a redfish I got to meet this am!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 09-18-2009, 03:19 PM

I've never fished for trout (anywhere especially the smokies) in the fall. Heck, even back here in southern Indiana I usually go for the gun more than the rod in the fall! But after Carolina Boy's passion filled speech I'm thinking more about browns now! If I get a day by myself to go after them, then I'll go big fish hunting....but if I got the family in tow, then I'd consider Anthony...but then again....I don't like crowds or traffic, so the Cove is probably a bad idea for my anti-social side!!
Old 09-18-2009, 03:50 PM

jross, I know how you feel!! After working in the public arena for 20+ years, I need a little alone time and a smoky stream is the perfect place! In fact I already have a retirement shirt picked out, It reads " Retired retail worker, I don't work here, leave me the %$@!*& ALONE!