Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-18-2009, 09:59 AM

Dang. This is becoming the norm. I honestly don't know how else to say it but I blame the "rednecks" (for lack of better terms, i've been accused of being one). They've always got to push it, destroy it, abuse it until it's closed or beyond repair.

I went to Ferris Creek last week and started picking up trash around my Jeep, that didn't last long, I gave up when I saw that I would be there all day.

While I was picking up trash I heard something in the car beside my Jeep. I looked and it was a dog, locked in a car, while it's owner was canoeing or elsewhere. Still there when I got back, I contemplated busting the window out being that is was close to 90 degrees.

Earlier this year I retrieved over one dozen road signs from the water under the bridge. Someone/s took the times to break off over a dozen road signs just to come throw them in the river. I kept the one that said "Rush" Rd. Sorry, Rush fan.

A friend and me were fishing a few weeks back and these two "fellas" came bouncing down the river in a jon boat. They ask us if we'd been catching any and then proceeded to stop, directly in front of us, mumble something to each other about wanting to fish this hole and sat there fishing for five more minutes. I mean IN the hole we were fishing.

I know I know, I'm preaching ot the choir and there ain't nuthin you can do about these "challenged" individuals but I swear I just get sick of it.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:13 PM

I think we are all sick of it.
Sadly things like that are getting worse and we all pay for it.
Here there are two areas where you can see guys riding around up to no good,Cheatham Dam and Cheatham WMA.
If it's out in the boonies,and it's public land,it's good to watch for those types and be careful.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:37 PM

boys I dont mean to ruffle feathers here but I've had my toes stepped on by just as many flyfisherman. Yes its a concern anywhere you go,But at the end of the day if you throw enough rocks at a redneck or an elitest flyfisherman you still have a bleeding jerk.
Have a nice day,Lynn
Old 09-18-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
boys I dont mean to ruffle feathers here but I've had my toes stepped on by just as many flyfisherman. Yes its a concern anywhere you go,But at the end of the day if you throw enough rocks at a redneck or an elitest flyfisherman you still have a bleeding jerk.
Have a nice day,Lynn
You know,you're right.
One thing I ain't is an elitest fly fisherman....maybe a tendency to lean towards redneckism.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:49 PM

It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round. The good places to fish in the south are generally not in the most financially fruitful areas.

Buzz'd Fly Fishing
Old 09-18-2009, 03:56 PM

Its all part of fishing, cleaning up some trash from the resource, and hopefully if enough people do it, it will spread. Wishful thinking, I know.

Buzz'd Fly Fishing
Old 09-22-2009, 01:26 PM

Maybe I hang out with a different crowd. Maybe I’m a member of a different club.

I dunno, but I have never seen a flyfisherman throw trash in the river.

Burn plastic and roofing for a fire and then leave beer cans and watermelon all over the place in the middle of the access road to the river.

Tear road signs off and throw them over a bridge

Burn signs, wooden steps or any other state-provided items.

I've never seen a flyfisherman walk in front of another and fish the hole he was fishing.

I've never seen one clean trout and leave all of the heads and guts in the shallow water by the entrance to the river, you know, where the kids would play.

The flyfisherman I know carry little containers around to stuff 4" pieces of mono in, so as not to pollute the river. They carry Walmart bags in their packs to stuff beer cans in when they find them while wading.

They organize to take disabled veterans flyfishing to help them cope with the horrors of war that they still carry around in their heads and on their bodies.

They organize to force state agencies to stop changing river systems so that the trout we love will survive and be available within driving distance of our homes.

I’m not trying to ruffle feathers either, but I’ve been flyfishing most of my life and I have yet to run into large numbers, or even a few, of the “elitist flyfisherman” that I hear so much about.

Perhaps the term has been used so much that the two words are now related. When we see “flyfisherman” we wonder why “elitist” wasn’t with it. Maybe, “if you say it enough then it has to be true” is what’s at work here.

If every time “the” problem is pointed out in any forum someone else then says, “but the other side is just as guilty” then nothing will ever change. But maybe that’s the way they want it.

No, the flyfisherman that I know are not the problem.

Pockets

P.S. I hunt with a traditional bow, and believe it or not this same thing is happening with that group too. We hunt with a simpler bow, so we’re “elitist”.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
Maybe I hang out with a different crowd. Maybe I’m a member of a different club.

I dunno, but I have never seen a flyfisherman throw trash in the river.

Burn plastic and roofing for a fire and then leave beer cans and watermelon all over the place in the middle of the access road to the river.

Tear road signs off and throw them over a bridge

Burn signs, wooden steps or any other state-provided items.

I've never seen a flyfisherman walk in front of another and fish the hole he was fishing.

I've never seen one clean trout and leave all of the heads and guts in the shallow water by the entrance to the river, you know, where the kids would play.

The flyfisherman I know carry little containers around to stuff 4" pieces of mono in, so as not to pollute the river. They carry Walmart bags in their packs to stuff beer cans in when they find them while wading.

They organize to take disabled veterans flyfishing to help them cope with the horrors of war that they still carry around in their heads and on their bodies.

They organize to force state agencies to stop changing river systems so that the trout we love will survive and be available within driving distance of our homes.

I’m not trying to ruffle feathers either, but I’ve been flyfishing most of my life and I have yet to run into large numbers, or even a few, of the “elitist flyfisherman” that I hear so much about.

P.S. I hunt with a traditional bow, and believe it or not this same thing is happening with that group too. We hunt with a simpler bow, so we’re “elitist”.

Unfortunately, I can say yes to all of the above on at least one occasion, but especially the ones about walking in front and fishing, leaving beer cans, and cleaning fish in the river, I 've seen those a few times.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:38 PM

Yeah, I have a penchant for all things old school. Love me some old recurve bows, fly fishin and banjos. If you can call an Appalachian American "elitist" with a straight face, be my guest. I've never seen a fly fisherman leave trash in his wake, I have seen those that aren't leave a mess and on more than one occasion.