Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-25-2009, 09:37 AM

Grannyknot--I know Mike Frome personally and in fact have tapes of some of his interviews connected with the chapter on Kephart in his book. I think he gave a solid, balanced account. Obviously he did not go into great detail--the nature of the book mitigated against that--but Frome is a fine writer and researcher.

I knew Granville Calhoun when I was a boy and young man and will always regret I didn't avail myself of his tremendous storehouse of lore. He was quite a fellow, living to the age of 103 and being sharp as a tack almost to the end. I did interview a number of other people (some of whom Frome interviewed as well) who knew Kep. Among them were Clarence "Petey" Angel and his sister, Helen(family owned the boarding house where Kephart lived for many years), S. W. Black (a local banker who held Kep's decidedly minimal account and who was our family's next door neighbor), Buddy Abbott, and others.
One thing everyone of them said was that whenever Kep got a letter from his estranged wife he invariably went on a week long "toot."
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-25-2009, 10:02 AM

Jim, this is off topic & probably better handled through email, but you seem to be well read in the history of these mountains.....I am looking for a book on cades cove that covers the history of the area & people around the time of the civil war...specifically the days and events surrounding the death of Russell Gregory.

I have found a book by Durwood Dunn entitled Cades Cove, but I really can't afford the prices charged by the UT press. Even used book stores give little discount for second hand books on history.

Any help as to specific titles?
Old 09-25-2009, 10:49 AM

Kephart's book got a plug on Channel 5 out of Nashville last night. They stated the book was being released in connection with the anniversary of the park.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
Jim, this is off topic & probably better handled through email, but you seem to be well read in the history of these mountains.....I am looking for a book on cades cove that covers the history of the area & people around the time of the civil war...specifically the days and events surrounding the death of Russell Gregory.

I have found a book by Durwood Dunn entitled Cades Cove, but I really can't afford the prices charged by the UT press. Even used book stores give little discount for second hand books on history.

Any help as to specific titles?
Grannyknot--Yep, I guess I'm pretty well immersed in the mountain past (I have a Ph. d. in history from Vanderbilt and I'm a "recovering" university professor, although my field wasn't U. S. history). Dunn's book is probably the best treatment of Cades Cove, although there's lots on the area in Margaret Brown's The Wild East: a Biography of the GSMNP. Randolph Shields wrote two books on Cades Cove, The Cades Cove Story and The Families of Cades Cove. A study on Civil War Tennessee is Stanley F. Horn (ed), Tennessee's War, 1861-1869. If you live in east Tennessee your local library should have most of these books. Jim Casada
Old 09-25-2009, 11:33 AM

Grannyknot, Amazon has used books as well. Got a 'like new' one of Dunn's for $9 IIRC. Dunn's book seemed excellent to me-lotta detail on family specific geneology moreso than the 'area' per se.
As Jim said, local libraries are the cheapest bet. IF they don't have it at that branch [your most convenient] they can get it thru the state association as a 'loaner' so you can read it. Even the more 'exotic' stuff thru interlibrary loans is less than $2 postage.
[May I say that the library system -as I've experienced it in the SE-is one of the FEW govt. run bureaucracies that works!
AND is usually staffed by 'customer oriented' good folks].
My library is even catalogued on-line. I usually check books for availability there before buying them-UNLESS I know I want to own them. You'll have to see how yours is set-up. There are hundreds of worthwhile books on Appalachia/GSM and flyfishing!
Speaking of which, I need to get on the road for the Nantahala:-)! Ghost

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...s=durwood+dunn
Old 09-25-2009, 09:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

cades cove:as it was....great book, shows all the old homes, lotsa manways, and is out of print
Old 03-05-2010, 09:43 AM

I finally picked up a copy of Smoky Mountain Magic a week or so ago. Finished it last night. It was a good story although his fiction writing style seemed to be a bit strange. The climax came about half way into the book and was quickly crushed, which seemed to make the events in the last third of the book somewhat irrelevant to the main story.

One thing I found very interesting was the introduction written by Kephart's Granddaughter. She defended Kephart's choice to come to these mountains and stay here, inferring that it was his wife's decision to leave him, taking the kids to the northeast and away from Horace. Her description of his introduction to this area was different than anything I have read in Jim Casada's introduction in Camping and Woodcraft or Michael Frome's book Strangers in High Places. Nowhere does she mention Granville Calhoun when telling of the people who helped him most in his early years on Hazel Creek.

Overall, its a good book with some entertaining Cherokee lore and description of the mountains pre-logging industry.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:04 AM

Hey Codman, let me know if you want me to get Mom to track down any of those books for you. That's her specialty, and she's got some pull down at the Norris Public Library ;-)
Old 03-05-2010, 12:09 PM

Jim one thing that I have noticed about you when it comes to someone else's book your comment is generally negative.

To be totally honest I too have purchased your book and can also say, "A lot of the hype and hoopla connected with this book is questionable."

When I first received your book I thumbed through it I thought it would be very informative (even posted so) especially when I saw one of the graphs in the back.

Then I sat down and read it.

My honest opinion is far as the fishing part of your book goes all that info I could have googled it, and the remaining part is what I consider "Hokey - Folksy."

I truly was disappointed in what you had in your book.

I know my comments on your book will offend you and otherís on here, but it is an honest evaluation of that book.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:37 PM

AKSkim--I'm don't think offended would be the proper word, but hurt would. I put my heart and soul into the book and for the great majority of folks who have read it have had very favorable things to say and have been particularly pleased with the history and folklore you seem not to like.
As for the fishing information, about all I can say is that I put a great deal of research, including personal experience, into it.
I believe if you will look back on this thread along you will find that I'm not necessarily critical of books in general. I have very positive things to say about Mike Frome's Strangers in High Places as well asabout two or three books on Cades Cove or the Park in general. Taking matters one step further, if you will check the bibliography in my book you don't like, you will find I say quite positive things about dozens of books.
Sorry the book disappointed you, but such is the life of the writer. Somes you please; sometimes you don't.
Jim Casada