Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-25-2009, 11:00 PM

Default Elkmont 9/25

Fished with a couple of friends from Christian Flyfishers today above Elkmont. We met up at the campground around noon and hiked up the trail about 15 minutes. The water level was pretty high making for very tough wading in the strong current flow. We all primarily fished dries today trying to target the outside slower current seams but the fish were not cooperating. I had a couple of dinks slap at the fly and John caught a small bow but nothing else. I think the better fishing would have been downstream in wider , slow areas. With a 250-300 cfs flow, its just difficult to fish a lot of the water up there unless your dredging heavy nymphs on a long rod. We all were using 2-3 wt short dry fly rods.
I left about 5:30 and drove back over to Townsend to fish the lower LR for some smallie action. It was a good call. Got 3 smallies, 2 redbreast and a new PB rockbass of 13" in about 20 min. on the stream. Wish now I had got there earlier. Not liking this getting dark so early again.
On a sidenote.... The october caddis are hatching along with a lot of golden stones.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:44 AM

What kind of "bait" did you throw at the smallies?
Old 09-26-2009, 04:26 PM

Firetiger stealth bomber #2
Old 09-28-2009, 07:57 AM

Sounds good Gary,
I think we should dry out a bit this week. Looks like the temps are going to be a little on the cool side too. We're coming out with my sister's family on Friday night, they're going to the big game Sat., and I'm gonna try to slip up in the park a while on Saturday hopefully.
On a side note, I went back after the Smallies Friday evening on the Staunton and they were way off, nothing! I had some motor trouble also, looks like I might have a coil pack going out on my jet motor.