Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 09-17-2009, 11:02 AM

Default Western NC Trout Streams

First off, this might be an ill placed post, so apologies if so.

I'm looking for solid info on publicly accessible trout streams in the neighborhood of Grandfather Mountain. Any suggestions? Any suggestions on good places to find said info?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:31 PM

Cubefisher--There's a passel of them, and the best way to get an idea is to acquire a copy of the N. C. Wildlife Resources Commission's atlas which has the title "N. C. Trout Maps" or something like that. It shows, on a county-by-county basis, streams holding trout and their designation (wild trout, hatchery-supported, etc.). Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-17-2009, 02:52 PM

Thanks, Jim. Just placed an order with the NC Wildlife Resources Commission for that. Looks like it'll be a cool thing to have!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:00 PM

here ya go ....http://www.ncwildlife.org/Fishing/Tr...shing_Maps.htm

Thats a good reference for stream regulations and locations.....pick up some trails illustrated maps for access information.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 PM

Look into the Upper Linville River, the Linville River Gorge, Camp Creek and Wilson Creek.
Ownership is mixed along these areas, a good map and some local help on finding plubic access is a must. Try contacting fly shops around Boone or Edgemont.

Note: The Linville River Gorge is one of those must do must plan for places. If you go, don't go alone, make sure someone knows where you are going and when and where you are coming out. This is not a your pull the car up to the creek and fish trip. This is an all day trip, and it's best (and worth it) if you backpack in and do an overnighter.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:28 PM

Excellent info. Thanks to all. I've backpacked the gorge before, and yes, it can be tough going. I've never fished it, though I've been tempted to return for that purpose. In fact, some friends and I'd discussed this as a possibility, but after some research, I'd heard it wasn't fishing well for anything other than smallies. Is that still true? (or am I setting myself up for a 'uh....no....it....uh....doesn't fish well...um...at all...no...really; I mean it.'?) ;-)
Old 09-17-2009, 11:05 PM

well...um.....maybe you might...could maybe lug a rod along....and maybe some larger streamers.....could be some deep water down there somewhere....um sometimes something wild and brown .....

I might add if you don't mind remote and rugged, catch and release wild fish...the upper part of wilson creek might be worth a day trip. You will need local knowledge on how to get on the fishable sections of the creek. I was there 4 years ago, so if i try to give you directions, you'll just get lost. Try to "chat up" someone who lives in the Edgemont area. A local will have the latest info on water conditions and such.

My take on that whole area of "trout water". Most of the water is managed (stocked) from march to july. So if you meet a friendly local, you need ask what trout water has holdover, reproduction and wild fish?

Last edited by cag215; 09-17-2009 at 11:41 PM..
Old 09-29-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubefisher View Post
Excellent info. Thanks to all. I've backpacked the gorge before, and yes, it can be tough going. I've never fished it, though I've been tempted to return for that purpose. In fact, some friends and I'd discussed this as a possibility, but after some research, I'd heard it wasn't fishing well for anything other than smallies. Is that still true?
I've had zero luck fishing there, but it's an intimidating size for me when I'm used to fishing small streams. I could be wrong, but it seems to me to be awfully warm for trout, though it would probably be better for smallies. I think there are some top flow dams upstream of the gorge that negatively impact things. Worth it on scenery alone, though, which you know.