Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 09-27-2009, 12:48 PM

Default Errors, editing, and inexpertise

Paula--I've noticed that when I hit the "Edit" tab with posts and change things (mainly correcting typos), the changes don't show up in my posts as published on the forum. What am I doing wrong? I don't give a reason for editing and possibly that's it. Do I just need to proofread before hitting anything, and is the "Edit" tab for some other purpose.

As I have no doubt just revealed, I'm not exactly the most technologically savvy person in the world. However, I do handle spelling, grammar, and style reasonably well, and I'm appalled when I see some of my posts full of errors I thought I had corrected. Please advise. Thanks.

Jim Casada
Old 09-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Jim

When you edit are you pressing the save button?

Paula
Old 09-27-2009, 10:11 PM

Paula--I'm responding and I don't see any "Save" tab. I'm using Quick Reply. Should I be using the other option, Post Reply?
Jim Casada
Old 09-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Jim

Yes. If you use the "quick reply" option, you don't have the ability to edit because it doesn't open the other boxes that allow an edit. Don't let it confuse you, though. It will open a completely different reply box that will appear at the top of the page. You can still reference posts that have gone before yours by scrolling down; they appear with the most recent post first.

Paula
Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 AM

Paula--Thanks, and I think I've got it. I'll start hitting the Post Reply tab and see if that woorks (I've intentionally used woorks for works and will see if I can go back to correct before sending this). Right now though, I don't see anything about "Edit." Jim Casada
Old 09-28-2009, 09:40 AM

Paula--Just checked. It didn't work even though I went to Edit and removed the spelling error. Don't worry about my ineptitude any more. I guess the solution is to proofread before I hit the send reply tab. Obviously all this technology stuff presents an ongoing challenge to this simple son of the Smokies, and it will likely come as no surprise to you or anyone when I say that I valiantly resisted learning how to use a computer for years. I still don't own a cell phone and refuse to do so, and I still cherish getting a real letter rather than an e-mail. Anyway, thanks for your efforts in tutoring the untutorable (and yes, I realize there's no such word). Jim Casada
Old 09-28-2009, 08:35 PM

Default Edit

Jim -

The edit does work. I'm leaving a typo in this line so that I can go to "edit" and fix it, and be able to tell you what I did.

sb

OK, you know where the edit button is, obviously. After you make your correction, don't hit Post Reply, just hit Save.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator

That's right, Stonefly...thanks.

You have to hit the "save" button before any edits will show up.

Paula
Old 09-29-2009, 08:49 AM

Paula and Stonefly--I appreciate the two of you helping me navigate what for others are a smooth run but turn into a raging torrent where no fly will float when I cast in them. I'll (yes two many ls) again. Jim Casada
Old 09-29-2009, 08:52 AM

Paula and Stonely--Eureka! I'm slow but like a good fisherman I'm reasonably persistent. Henceforth my troublesome errors should be fewer and farther between. Jim Casada