Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 09-29-2009, 02:30 PM

man...that's putting alot of faith in a tranquilizer....so you can whup a bear!
Old 09-29-2009, 05:37 PM

Wow! Just don't let me wife read this thread. I was hoping to do smoe back country hiking/fishing next year.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

actual bear-human incidents are still minimal and generally caused by humans....lots of garbage left in the back country, people still trying to feed bears, people continually approaching bears to get "cute" pictures.....and the tossing of pampers and food and trash on the laurel falls trail (and others) is an indictment of the typical visitor to this park...why would a sane person pack a colonel sanders lunch (or other high smelly food) leave the pack unattended, and get mad when a bear takes the pack? happened 3 times that i know of this past 6 weeks or so...
Old 09-29-2009, 10:12 PM

I agree 100%.
Why people feed or leave food, etc. laying around is beyond me.

Bears really don't mean us any harm if we respect them, I believe.

It's when they get conditioned by the said behaviors of people that we have issues.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

I thought that was you guys when I read the story and the part about it began to rain shortly after you started hiking. I seen 2 bears on that same trail 2 weeks prior but they paid me no mind and kept going. Goshen Prong and Little River Trail is where that lady was attacked and killed by a momma bear and her cubs here is the link of that story for anyone interested.

http://www.mysmokymountainvacation.c...ar-attack.html
Old 09-30-2009, 08:59 AM

People act that way because most have not been in the real woods much, if at all.....taking KFC into bear country in a pack and leaving it unattended is a sure sign that the person isn't in touch with reality when it comes to the wilderness,well,as the wilderness goes in the 21st century.
Whenever I go to a store like REI,which is a high priced,trendy gathering place for many who look the look,talk the talk,but don't walk the walk....(not all but many),well,I just figure they will spend their money and most will get their fill of the great outdoors in short order.I do buy stuff there sometimes,but not much gear.
There's all levels of outdoorsmen,I'm not at the top,but I'm a survivalist,so I tend to think of bad situations and how to get through....that includes encounters with animals.
Byron's report on high water and how people get lost or stranded on the opposite side of the stream and spending the night or more should be read and reread.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:32 AM

Sounds like an interesting article.

How could one find that article?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H. View Post
Sounds like an interesting article.

How could one find that article?
If you're referring to my post about people getting stranded....it was the fishing report for yesterday .
here ya go...http://littleriveroutfitters.com/WEB...ng/092909.html
Old 09-30-2009, 11:47 PM

o.k. Thank you.

Horace Kephart's [U]Camping and Woodcraft[U] is a great read and I highly recommend it.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:44 PM

Default Bears

I've written about this encounter before, so apologies to those of you have already read it.
Probably around 97 or 98 we were up on Hazel Creek for the weekend, we were camping at the Sawdust Pile campsite # 85. There were a couple of guys from Asheville up there that weekend as well. We had eaten dinner, one guy was still down at the creek washing his dishes, the rest of us standing around probably telling lies about the day's fishing. We had seen a bear earlier in the day crossing the creek, not giving it too much thought. Had seen a wolf that day as well, or a huge coyote, also crossing the creek, a good day. Well back to the moment around the campfire; the guys from Ashville hollered to us that a bear was coming down the creek they had just run it off. Well Ed (washing dishes) looked up just in time to see it coming, he scampered up the path to the fire with the bear not 10' behind him. By this time the Asheville contingent had walked down to join us and we all played the pots and pans for the bear. He really was not very large, I would bet 150 lb, maybe 200 lb. Well he spooked a little and climbed a large tree to the first fork (15-20 feet). It literally took that bear a couple seconds to climb that tree! He sat there in the fork looking at us for a minute or two, then down he came back toward us, our packs were foolishly still on the ground. More pot beating sent him back up the tree for another minute or two, then down he came again. At this point he stood on his back legs for a moment, then dropped down and started for the packs again, his head swaying back and forth, seemingly confident that the pots weren't going to do him any harm!
Well at this point one of the Asheville guys produced a pack of Black Cats, took the cigarette from his mouth, lit them and tossed them at the bear's feet. Well that pack of fire crackers went off and so did the bear! We didn't see him the rest of the weekend.
I carry a pack of them with me most of the time anymore, though unless I am camping I rarely have anything to light them! Of course the bear spray is maybe the best deterrent.
Now I carry the M-90's actually, I think they're less susceptible to humidity.... rain. Not sure what I would have done about that bear you all encountered though, particularly without the strength in numbers. With the guys from Asheville, there were six of us up there that night.
Best,
John