Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 10-01-2009, 10:01 PM

Default evening out with the "fairy wand"

Yep, I'm one of those flyfishermen that likes to fish ultralights occasionaly. This evening I fished for a couple of hours before dark with a little 6.5ft 2weight. These rods are a blast to fish for everything from brook trout to smallmouth. Instead of driving up to the park after work, I wanted to get in another warm water bream trip before the water cools down too much and the topwater bite to shuts down. Had a great evening on a local stream with lots of redbreast and smallies. Before you write off these rods as some sort of toy or "fairy wand" as others like to call them, give em a try. You might just enjoy yourself!
Fishing a Scott Fibertouch 6.5ft 2weight with a Ross Canyon 1 reel

even little guys feel big on the UL rods.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:41 AM

Gary, looks like a lot of fun! I haven't gotten out my 6.5 3 wt. in a while but think I just may have to do that now!!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:57 AM

Looks like fun! I've never fished a 2wt but I have one in the works right now. It is only going to be a 5' footer though. I may have to stretch it a little.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:08 AM

gmreeves, You should visit the ultralight fly fishers forum. There are several bamboo builders on there.

heres an interesting thread on a 1wt boo build.
http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com...1wt-build.html

The important thing about playing a fish on these rods is that you do not play them off the tip. You angle the rod and pressure them with the butt section. large fish can be brought to hand quickly using this technique. This is a 6.5ft lami 3wt with a 19" smallie earlier this year.

I wouldn't suggest these rods for nymph fishing, but dries, small poppers and small streamers are fun to fish.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
I wouldn't suggest these rods for nymph fishing, but dries, small poppers and small streamers are fun to fish.
Man, no kidding. I love my little 7' 6" 3 weight for throwing dries, but the second I put on nymphs (especially if there is any split shot involved) I start getting really annoyed... Can't beat the light rods for pure fun with dry flies though!!! I might have to try some little streamers on the three weight sometime...sounds like fun...

Nice fish by the way...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-02-2009, 04:30 PM

Oh boy. Another Forum. I am going to get fired as much as I am on forums here at work.

I am a big proponent of fightign fish from the but of the rod. It is different if you are trying to learn and have the habits of conventional fishing and bill dance hook sets but now it is second nature.

Yeah, and nice smallie on the little glass! I have a 6'6" 3wt that is fiberglass (Eagle Claw, not Lami) and I have never even cast it. I keep meaning to but never get around to it.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:36 PM

Troutman I can not believe my eyes. You actually own graphite and fish it. Very nice set up.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
Troutman I can not believe my eyes. You actually own graphite and fish it. Very nice set up.
The Scott Fibertouch is fiberglass! I do own a a few graphites. one 4wt and a 7 and 8wt that get used for big water (tailwater) bass and or trout streamer fishing. Its hard to throw sink tips with glass rods. I need a faster graphite for that and when the wind is howling down those river beds.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:25 PM

Sorry troutman. Not being familar with scott rods I did not know that that was a glass rod. Non the less it is still an awesome looking set up. I may look into a fiber touch myself now. I bought an old yellow wright and mcgill eagle claw at an auction the other night for $15 in a 5wt range. It is in perfect shape so I hope to get some use out of it.