Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-02-2009, 02:03 PM

Default bear spray

thinking about buying bear spray--which is the best--does it work--don't really carry bear spray because its just another item to carry--i don't carry much fishing gear--the less the better as far as i am concerned-but what with all the bear sightings and bear aggressive behavior-maybe i'll fork out a few bucks and buy some bear spray.How about it-do you carry bear spray and have you ever had to use it.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:31 PM

I don't remember what kind we use at work, but I know the cans are like a mini fire extenguisher. It would be big if you like not carrying much gear. Ours sprays about 10 feet out of the big cans, and our normal pepper spray just sprays about 4 feet. I deal with bears nightly at work, and just yelling and throwing a rock in their direction seems to get them run off long before getting close enough for the spray.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

I have a can, carried it a few times it's not worth the weight in my opinion. If a bear is bluff charging or coming at you, your not going to have time to use it anyways. I think your better off to just stand your ground when approached by a bear.... most of them will just run off when they see you. The best defense is to read about bear safety and stay alert and report any incidents to the park rangers.

Here is a helpful link

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/black-bears.htm
Old 10-02-2009, 04:02 PM

I've kind of debated whether to get some of the spray myself,but in the past while working at this utility I've used Halt dog spray,I quit using it because several times it blew back some and got me more than the dog,and even the mist burned if the wind was right.
I know the stream in bear spray is stronger,but I've seen the Halt dog spray get weak really quick...and not all dogs are stopped....can't imagine about a bear.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:16 PM

Default Bear speay

The brand most recommended for grizzly bears in Yellowstone is

UDAP brand of pepper spray
comes in 9oz and 14 oz canisters. priced between $35-50.00 depending on size. Got my last canister at Cabela's. LRO probably could get it for you or they might stock it.

Directions claim to have a 30 foot range.

As silly as some people claim, we always wear "BEAR BELLS" these are very large (2" diameter) jingle bells and we tie them to vest or jeans. this always alerts the bears that we are near so we won't surpise them. We have yet to have a angry confrontation with bears in YNP. Been there for 16 summer vacations. Alas, I still carry bear spray for the stupid bear that doesn't know what he is supposed to do. I still think I would feel more comortable if I could carry my 44Mag.

Tom
Old 10-04-2009, 09:43 PM

I just got back about 1 1/2 week ago from 6 weeks just outside of Yellowstone. (Going to post more info and pic's later.) We lucked out and were asked to be campground hosts in the Shoshone National Forest, just outside of Cooke City. We WERE ISSUED a canister of UDAP AND ONE OF COUNTERASSUSALT by the Forest Service. We were told to carry and did. We had Grizzly tracks along the stream in our campground and one was sighted about 1/2 mile from campground. Leaving a cooler out for Yogi and Boo in the Shoshone Forest STARTS with $175 fine. Needless to say, they do not have bear problems in their campgrounds. Campground hosts meet with campers to stress the procedures. Rules are rigidly enforced there. We had enforcement people pick up food, coolers, etc from unattended campsites. If the Smokies had their rules enforced as well then a lot of our bear problems would be solved.

1) if spray doesn't spray out 30-40 feet, then the propellant is probably too old. The propellant ages the "pepper" ingrediant does not. We carry "new" cans and use older cans as backup's or inside our cars. You just lose the distance on the spray. You should check the date on the side of the labels.
2) the procedure for spraying is a very short burst to stop the bear, assess the situation (wind direction, etc)then spray again if needed.
3) Spray should be used as A PART of a total bear procedure. We carry bells, make noise keep food up, etc. along with carrying spray.
4) The spray has been used very effectively on Buffalo and Moose also.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 10-06-2009, 03:19 PM

I use counter assault. It has a belt loop and you never even know its there. I have used it once on a pit bull and it worked wonders. I have seen it used on a black bear and it turned him for a flip, literally. If anything carry it for piece of mind. I was fishing this past weekend on a stream notorious for wild boars over in Graham county, NC. They had rutted all around my back country campsite and I felt alot better just having the spray on my side. I don't even know if it would have worked well on a boar, but it would have surely slowed him down a little. Remember, piece of mind.