Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-02-2009, 08:18 AM

Default Horses created many of the trails?

That's a convenient,generic answer from a park official.
Most of the very early roads in my area,followed ancient Indian trails that followed even older animal trails.Even in the early part of the 20th century many older people I knew told of walking everywhere,following ancient paths.
Roads were chopped out to make larger travel easier for wagons and the likes....not to mention the logging and railroad beds.
Being a foot traveler myself,I have nearly been run over by horses and bikes,the older and slower I get I guess I'll be an accident waiting to happen on the trails.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:02 AM

I tried it a couple of times, but the training wheels kept getting caught on rocks and tree limbs. It only took me a couple times being throw over the handle bars to go back to walking.

Last edited by flyman; 10-03-2009 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: 42
Old 10-04-2009, 06:03 PM

Default Biking & Fishing

I've ridden a bike back to Abrams Creek when the gate was closed. I got ahead of other fishermen who were waiting for the gate to open on Saturday morning for the automobile traffic. Was able to get through the horseshoe first.

I propose a Smoky Mountain Triathlon:

1. Bike 50 miles
2. Hike 5 miles
3. Catch limit

First one finished wins!
Old 10-04-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampus View Post
I've ridden a bike back to Abrams Creek when the gate was closed. I got ahead of other fishermen who were waiting for the gate to open on Saturday morning for the automobile traffic. Was able to get through the horseshoe first.

I propose a Smoky Mountain Triathlon:

1. Bike 50 miles
2. Hike 5 miles
3. Catch limit

First one finished wins!
Could I just skip #1 and meet you at the trailhead?
The last time we biked and fished was over at Deep creek wasn't it? That was a good trip. We need to do that again.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampus View Post

1. Bike 50 miles
2. Hike 5 miles
3. Catch limit
Seems like the last couple of trips I've made have involved a swim leg, too, as an accidental component of #3.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:06 PM

Man, I can't wait!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:31 PM

Up here in the Pocono region of PA, I use my mountain bike often to reach areas on the Lehigh River. Ive found the Simms Dry bag with rod tube holders to be terrific for this type of fishing.
Best, Ken
Old 10-08-2009, 05:33 PM

In the late 50s or early 60s, my two cousins used to push their cruiser bikes up the LR trail above Elkmont for a fast and easy way out...this is when there was a gate at what is now the one mile mark above the trailhead....the last time they tried this one of them didn't make it between the gate post and an adjacent tree and the mark was there for years after....many years ago when they shut the Park down due to a budget dispute in Congress a friend and I had our bikes with us and snuck up the road with our rods strapped to the center support of our bikes...at this time it was only 2.7 miles up to the fork of the river....trip out only took about 15 minutes vs. an hours walking....temptation to travel fast coming down that trail does not mix with the hikers and fishermen traversing it on a regular basis....but it did save a lot of steps.