Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-08-2009, 02:04 PM

I'll be the tie breaker. I am the worst and clumsiest caster on the river.
What I hate most about wading in the park is your left foot will be firmly planted in 6 inches of water, and your right foot will step into a 3 foot deep hole. Ever notice how hard river rocks are when you fall on one?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:15 PM

I do have trouble staying balanced. Found out the hard way that my felt soles aren't a guarantee on every single rock.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:55 PM

Not to start a debate her but my buddy and I fished all last week in boots with the stealth rubber soles without a slip between us....can't say the same about the last time I took out my felt soles.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:12 PM

Interesting. I'll have to check into those.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. So waders are necessary, I have a pair of La Grange 18" rubber boots, can I wear these with stockingfoot waders or are felt soled boots required?? I'll be stopping by LRO so they can help with flies and odds and ends.

To let ya'll know we will be hiking Lecaonte via Alum Cave Bluffs and the chimney tops. Any place near these trailheads with high percentage of probability for catching??

As far as clumsy un elegant fishing goes I don't know if I can be beat - just standing on a flat bank, not a tree in sight, I can always seem to get my line caught around my shoelaces, or legs, or the grass somehow. And it always seems to be right when i need to shoot the line to a rising bass - oh well - can't wait to be in the mountains. We had record highs the past few days - mid-90s with close to %100 humidity.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:27 AM

I don't think any sole is specifically "required." You will find it VERY easy to get your line caught up in trees, branches, blades of grass, etc etc etc, I recommend roll casting a lot of making very short casts. Check out your back cast before you make a cast at all.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:45 AM

rubber and slick rocks are a terrible combo. If you slip on most other banks, you fall in soft mud. Not so with these stream banks! If you get stocking foot waders, you'll need wading boots. I've had three different pairs. An old pair of hiking boots I "modified" and a cheap pair from bass pro, that fell apart but gave amazing ankle support/protection. Now I have a pair of corkers from LRO, they're nice.

when I first started out I had my neoprene boot foots, I slipped and staggered all over the place. I'm sure I scared every fish around. Moral of the story...Getting out in the water offers way more opportunities, BUT if offers more dangers an increases the likely hood you'll spook many fish.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:53 PM

At the Chimney Tops you will hike along the Road Prong...search that topic here and you will read all you know....above the Chimney Tops trailhead, Walker's Camp Prong runs along the road to and above Alum Cave trailhead....small water but carries a high liklihood of catching some fish...no boot comes with any non-slip guarantee...this time of year you have got to keep an eye out for the fallen leaves....they can never be trusted on any rock and under water they have a habit of covering up holes and obstacles which can easily lead to a fall...unless the weather takes a drastic turn for cold you can still get by in a pair of fishing pants and just some boots, especially in the smaller streams where you are not constantly in the water....I have fished from mid-April thru to late October and even into November without ever having donned a pair of waders.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:25 PM

Thanks again for all the help guys. We planned this trip just recently and it doesn't look like waders and felt soled boots are in the cards (it would have to come out of the canoe/kayak/pirogue fund). So it looks like bank fishing (not sure if thats an option) or like Rog 1 said, just working with what I've got. Rog, when you say fishing pants are you talking about the very light "fishing shirt style" fabric. Also, I have some really nice Merrel Aquasport trail shoes and some non-absorbent neoprene socks that might work for quick jaunts into the stream and back out.

So I guess what I'm looking for are suggestions for bank fishing if available, or small streams with not much water that 18" boots would work in, or streams that are traditionally not as cold that i could wear my trail shoes in.

Sorry about all the stipulations, but I want to try my hand - I'll start a Smokies Fishing Gear fund for next trip.

Brian
Old 10-13-2009, 12:01 AM

Well a friend and I backpacked and fished last weekend (only fished on Saturday) and we both wet-waded. It's getting cooler but you could probably wet-wade a bit longer. your feet get numb pretty quickly. Don't let a little think like comfort stand in the way of fishing

As a side note it was by far my best day fishing in the park ever. Caught 25. I was really careful about presentation, and I wore drab and camoflauge clothing. My older raincoat was red (and it was all I had). I think that affected my fishing some. I got a camo one before this trip... That or I was just luckier this time

----Matt