Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Old 10-14-2009, 01:42 PM

Default First DSLR

I have finally decided to purchase a dslr. Canon vs. Nikon? Which to choose. I am leaning toward Canon because both of my brothers us Canon and maybe I can bum lenses off of them. Also even the entry level Canon's will work with all their lenses, but the entry level Nikon's require a different type of lens (if you want the auto focus to work). I want to make the right decision on the first one because once I commit to one there will probably be no turning back as you begin to purchase additional accessories. Even though I have already mentioned a couple of negatives a lot of folks love their Nikons. What do you shoot and why do you like it?
Just looking for any help, I have researched this thing to death and I have got to pull the trigger soon before I go nuts. Thanks.
Mike
Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 PM

Hi Mike,

Because I have Nikkor lenses I use Nikon bodies. I think either Nikon or Canon would be fine. Not much difference. I use older Nikon D100s. You can buy them used in excellent shape for about $275. Lefty Kreh told me about KEH in Atlanta. That's where he buys his gear. He is a bargain shopper. I need more than one body for the photography so I started buying some used equipment. No problems yet. The next new camera I would buy is a Nikon D700 full frame. I probably won't do it. When I decide I need another body I'll probably buy a used D100. Maybe they will be $200 by then. I shot the entire Chota line of equipment in our studio with D100's this month. They are very pleased with the work. Check it out on our online catalog. All of their dealers and Chota will be using them on their websites and catalogs.

Byron
Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 PM

Mike,

That is my biggest gripe about the entry level Nikon DSLRs like the d40 and d60. They require AF-S lenses in order to autofocus, but these lenses carry a hefty pricetag. I have other photog buddies who use Cannon, and they claim that comparable lenses are cheaper than the Nikon counterpart.

That said, I have a Nikon D40 and love it.

However, I have started looking into the third party lenses Sigma and Tamron. Their premium lenses are 90% as good good as the big boys for 60% of the cost, and my eyes will never be able to see the difference.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 10-15-2009, 07:56 AM

I have a Canon 30D. I have been very pleased with it so far. I still need to learn more about it though.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:37 AM

Default Canon vs. Nikon

You can't go wrong with either brand. Both make excellent bodies and lenses. The advantage for you going with Canon is the possibility of borrowing equipment.
What body to get depends on what you are going to do with it and how much money you have to spend. I have 2 Canon Rebel XTi and just got a 50D. (I guess to tell the truth they are actually my wife's cameras since she bought them). I have had great results with the less expensive Rebel bodies. The place to spend the money is on the lenses. Don't cheap out. Off brand lenses are good but they don't even compare with either Canon or Nikon. If you get an off brand lens (Sigma, Tamron or Tokina) make sure they work with the body you have. I bought a Sigma in the past and it didn't function with one of the bodies I had.

Also something to think about that had never occured to me. On the high megapixel cameras, 15+ you can actually get degraded picture quality by using less than professional lenses. The image quality of the file is so great that you will notice the slight flaws in a lens that you might not notice in a lower mega pixel camera.

My suggestion...get a camera body with the features you want but don't sell the farm to get it. Spend the money on good lenses.

Daniel Drake
www.drakephotography.net
Old 10-15-2009, 09:50 AM

I agree with Byron on KEH,they have some great deals. I also agree with Daniel on emphasizing better glass but if you shop carefully you can get outstanding aftermarket glass!

I shoot a Nikon D200 and love it (I also own a D50 that is a superb camera). The noise isn't the best once you get over 800 but I don't really shoot too much low light stuff. When I do, I just go to my 2.8 lenses.

The D200 is a really nice semi-pro camera and the prices have fallen for used versions since the D300 has come out. Check it out......
Old 10-15-2009, 09:30 PM

Daniel,

I think your wife took my neighbor's wedding pictures at The Lily Barn about two years ago.

To your point of off brand lenses, you do have a point. I tried 3 Sigmas before I got a good one. The 18-50mm I currently have though is very sharp at f/2.8, but just be sure that wherever you buy from has a good return policy. I have had to ship lenses back to B&H before due to poor quality. In fact I have one in the mail currently that I shipped back on Wednesday. It is just hard for me to drop $1900 on a new 70-200mm f/2.8 Nikkor lens.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler

Last edited by ChemEAngler; 10-16-2009 at 11:39 AM..
Old 10-16-2009, 08:17 AM

Black sheep here, i shoot a Sony because i can use older Minolta lenses that are cheaper than the newer Sony lens & still produce some beautiful images.
Some of the older lenses won't AF on the new cameras, i do a lot of manual shooting to begin with, you'd be surprised at the new cameras that don't want to focus on what you;re seeing & that's all brands.
MtnMike, if you can bum lenses for a Canon, i'd get one several guys here in mid-TN shoot Sony so we borrow or swap lenses occasionally, cheaper than buying something that you won't use a lot.

Daniel brought up a good point on glass(LENS) THEY MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE! Watch out for some of the Sigmas, the newer bodies have a tendency to strip gears in them.

Grumpy
Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 AM

Default Nikon D5000

Thanks for the input folks. I was leaning toward the Canon because both of my brothers have Canon. But as I looked at them and held them I wanted the Nikon. I really wanted the Nikon and last night talk to a guy in my church who has a Nikon and that sealed the deal. I was just glad to know someone that could maybe help me learn the camera and he was glad to help and offered to swap lenses and go shoot with me. So, I ordered a Nikon D5000 this morning.
Mike
Old 10-16-2009, 11:19 AM

I just purchased a Pentax K2000 and I love it. I have nikons and they are awesome no doubt, but I have trully been in love with this pentax and it was a few $ cheaper which allowed me to get good lenses. Just a little info on other options.