Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 10-15-2009, 10:42 PM

Default 14 Short Days in the Smokies

For a place where everything moves wonderfully SLOW, the days sure do clip off at a high rate of speed. I understand this is a fly fishing forum so first and foremost I caught my first Rainbow ever in Deep Creek. Something that I will remember forever. We had great fun in and around Bryson City, a trip to Coopers Creek Trout Farm, a ride on the Smoky Mountian Railroad out to the pumpkin patch to see Charlie Brown and Snoopy, and hiking the Deep Creek and Loop trails daily.We also spent time with family who lives in Bryson.
Then we moved to Townsend. As soon as we arrived I biked straight to LRO where the kindness of Paula helped me post a picture of my first fish. I got a handfull of flies and a great book ( Mr. Casada if you read this, Thanks ) and prepared for next seven days. I fished almost every morning, rod tubes tied to my bike, hip waders and wading boots on, and off I'd go up past the Institute and get in. I didn't have much luck catching any fish for a couple of days, but it was very good for the soul. I did catch my second and third rainbows on the Middle Prong on my last day there. As my time in the Smokies came to an end we had hiked Cades Cove loop , gone to Abrams Falls for lunch, my daughter and I threw rocks in the Little River for hours on end and even got the Barbie pole out so she could try her luck for a rainbow.(Daniel I still need that pink fly rod so I can get rid of the Barbie pole )
If someone figures out how to cheat Father Time, please pass it on to the Smokies,they need it.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:50 AM

Excellent Report, I can relate.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:43 AM

Earthworkx--Sounds like a grand family time and the making of some memories you will always treasure. I'm off to the Cataloochee area this coming week to try to build some more memories of my own in company with my brother (who contributed to my book in a significant way), a couple of nephews, and a cousin. I plan to explore some smaller streams in the Cataloochee complex I haven't fished for several years and maybe spend one day in the quest for big browns. It's a good time of year to do that. Jim Casada
Old 10-16-2009, 01:23 PM

Jim,

Have you heard any thing about the water levels in the Cataloochee. Seems that area gets less rain on the average than the rest of the Park the last few years. I am think of heading that way next Tuesday to try a different place before the cold weather hits.

Neal
Old 10-16-2009, 01:42 PM

Pineman19--Don't know a thing, but even after lots of rain the smaller streams--Little Cataloochee, Pretty Hollow Creek, Palmer Creek, etc.--are quite manageable. I'm actually more worried about dealing with chilly weather. Jim Casada
Old 10-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Mid-sixties and sunny on Tuesday and Wednesday, that's why I ask for a day off from work to give it one last shot in the Smokies. I will be focusing on the smaller streams, haven't decided which one yet, but I may give the main stream a try as well.

Neal
Old 10-17-2009, 12:59 PM

Earthworx,
I know how you feel. Every time I am able it spend some time in places like the Smokies and Townsend I feel like I have been in a decompression chamber. I'd move to Townsend if I could find a local girl that owned some land

Pineman,
If it doesn't rain for a couple days water levels should be fine. Anything less than about 200 cfs is fishable.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060
Old 10-17-2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the input Flyman.

BTW, if you find two women with land around Townsend let me know, be glad to take care of one for ya
Old 10-20-2009, 11:16 AM

Cataloochee and feeders were running high last week to me,10/13-10/16.
I caught a few small ones but wading and trying to fish were tough...at least for me being a newby to the Smoky streams.
If the rain stopped I'll bet the creeks look great this week.
That's the problem being over 250 miles away,you makes your plans and takes your chances.
Someday I hope to retire and then go when the weather is really nice.