Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 10-21-2009, 12:01 PM

Bredmon, you refer to this as a spring creek. Do you mean it is spring feed, or a spring creek as in those found in Pennsylvania and out west? I'd love to find a true spring creek around here. Thanks. Silvercreek
Old 10-21-2009, 01:44 PM

Silvercreek, as I stated ive only been fly fishing for 3 years and im not sure on the difference. Heres what I CAN tell you....Trammel Fork (creek being discussed) is a smaller feeder stream that connects into Trammel Creek proper which is much larger and too warm to sustain trout. Trammel Fork's main flow comes from a spring, im pretty sure. As you work down stream there are some other rather small creeks, brooks if you will, that flow into it. I do know that they have tried doing dye tests on the spring but cant find its origin as the dye gets too diluted. Also, many years ago the spring came out in what we call around here a blue hole, but beavers dammed it up and it started spilling out from a spot about 30-40 yds away. Its actually really neat to see it, its just a hole between some big rocks about 3 ft below the surface with water bubbling out. Talk to me in two years and ill be able to explain things alot better, im pursuing a degree in enviroment sci, so i get to learn all about this in great detail . I mean to me for lack of knowledge, if a streams main source of water is a spring, then its a spring creek, what else would it be. If im wrong and i probably am, please inform me on the difference, its something Ive wanted to figure out for a while now, just haven't taken the time to investigate. I look forward to your response.

Brad
Old 10-21-2009, 04:18 PM

Well, I'm no expert,so I can only tell you what I have seen. "Spring creeks" here in Tennessee look pretty much like freestone mountain streams with little vegetation in the stream even though the water comes right out of the limestone. In Pennsylvania and out west their spring creeks are full of aquatic weeds and support lots of insects. I've been told the true spring creeks are much more alkaline than those around here and that is the difference. Weeds seem to bring on the bugs and the trout.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:07 PM

Default Drodgers

Drodgers,
I too go to Western Kentucky University, but have never gotten out to fly fish because of staying so busy with school. I usually fly fish when I go back home to East Tennessee, but would love to find some places around here. I was just wondering where you fish on Jennings creek, is it public access or private and can you only catch fish right after they stock it. I would love to get out and fish soon, so would you recommend trammel or jennings. P.S. sorry that the questions don't have question marks. That button is broke on the keyboard. lol
Old 10-21-2009, 10:45 PM

I would recommend trammel more so than jennings, especially this winter and spring. For two or three months trammel got 1000 more fish each month than it normally gets and there are alot left over. Its gonna be a great winter down there this year. I was down there several times last Jan. and Feb. and the stream temp was 50-52 degrees and the fish still active. One of the great things about spring or spring fed creeks are they stay warm in the winter. I usually fish it a min. of 2 times a month year round.

Personally im not a big fan of jennings for flyfishing.

I know you didn't ask me, but I figured Id give you my 2 cents.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 PM

Default bredmon930

I appreciate any info i can get. Thanks for sharing. Do most people fish at the concord Methodist church I read about earlier; or are there some other spots that are worth fishing as well. Once again any info is greatly appreciated. Sorry for all the questions but I don't know anything about fly fishing in this area.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:50 PM

Thats one access point, the other is about 3/4 of a mile upstream. Instead of turning onto concord church rd, you drive past and there is another road to the right called Blankenship Rd. As D explained earlier, the blankenship portion of the stream has been totally reworked as a restoration project by the state. they put in some pools and pocket water sections and added undercut banks and structure. Its pretty neat. The state says theres somewhere around 4.5 miles of trout water, and ive fished a good portion of it and caught fish throughout. Shoot me an email bredmon930@yahoo.com