Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 10-22-2009, 12:34 PM

I am glad you got help. My Cousin and son and I were hiking the Old Settlers
Trail and planned to hike through to Cosby and I slipped and Badly sprained
my ankle. We had to hike out at Jellystone camp ground. We couldn't get
any help. We had left a vehicle at Cosby Campground which was several
miles away. I won't call any places of business by name but we couldn't
get anyone to help us even after offering to pay someone. We started hiking
along the road to Cosby. It was obvious we had a problem. A little lady who
lived at Cosby stopped and offered help. We were three dirty large guys
who all weighed over 200lbs, but she stiill carried my son and Cousin to get
our vehicle. We did not get her name either. I am sorry we didn't.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Great story, thanks for sharing I have heard the fishing has been off "high water" is what I keep hearing I went last Saturday and I couldn't fish it, but of course I have no clue how to nymph fish yet. Little River near Elkmont is a nice area my favorite so far. I wish you a speedy recovery I am just curious what's your pack weigh?
Old 10-23-2009, 03:47 PM

Rog1 I think the synchronous flashing works its way upstream because I have seen it up there on the 4th of July and they were not happening down at the cabins the night before.Maybe a week later the could be fashing around three forks?

Bmc,I have decided that if it looks iffy to rock hop I dont try to keep my boots dry.I would rather have a wet foot than take a chance on breaking a rod or a bone.Glad to hear you made it out.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:51 PM

I guess it is a little late to suggest some ice for that bad foot injury.
I fish close to the car as I am about one more bad fall from having to call the glue factory to come and get me. You were lucky to get out. Another problem this time of year is slick fallen leaves.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:02 PM

Spotlight-- I didn't weigh my pack before I went; but it was definitely the lightest pack I've carried on a trip in a while. I took my solo tent and an ultralight down sleeping bag. And on the way back out I had already consumed: most of the fuel I packed in, 2 nalgenes of tea and 1 16 oz Coke, as well as much of my food. I did pack out as much of others people's garbage as I could; but the heaviest part of this was an assortment package of plastic knives, forks and spoons that someone had left at CS24 (sorry if anyone was planning on their "cutlery" being there). I would guess my pack was less than 30lbs on the way out.

mora-- As I've sat here on the couch trying to decide between reruns of "Keep Up With the Cardashians" or "The Real Hos (oops-- that should be housewives, LOL) of Whatever County" I've often wondered if I should have just gotten my feet wet or even better, put on the waders and wading boots I was carrying. And to think, I was just trying to break in a fairly new pair of Vasques...

rivergal-- my springer has been enjoying her new bowl of foot-flavored ice water that resides in front of the couch.

The mice at CS24 were as crafty and determined as at any shelter on the AT. Anything warm and fuzzy left unattended for more than three minutes became shredded-- they especially loved the expensive Smartwool socks. After two days and one night of Rodent Shock and Awe, we were forced to defend ourselves and our property, sending a few of the Hantavirus taxis to that great hunk of cheese in the sky. Humans must underestimate the cognitive abilities of mice, as we never saw another one after that.

We also saw deer, quite a few turkeys, a raccoon fishing for a meal, a couple of chipmunks and several leeches. (No, there were no "Stand By Me" moments.)

My few days of "sabbatical" have reinforced my disdain of the idiot box. Thank God I can already limp to the bathroom or the kitchen without the crutches.

Last edited by bmc; 10-23-2009 at 06:53 PM..
Old 10-23-2009, 10:11 PM

WOW! That's gonna leave a mark Glad you made it out OK, all things considered that could have been much worse. I had a fishing partner one time that fell off of some rocks and broke his neck and killed him. That was the worst fishing trip every, make a couple of cast, drag the body, make a couple of cast, drag the body, make a couple of cast, drag the body. Took 3 days to make our way out

Last edited by flyman; 10-24-2009 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: 42
Old 10-24-2009, 10:30 AM

Seriously,
The worst fishing trip in my life involved a large friend of mine falling and having to be carried out to the ambulance,that was an ordeal in itself because he was a 200+ pounder.
We were highschool kids who were trying to take a shortcut out by climbing a bluff,(go figure),and he slid about 50' down with his hard head bouncing off rocks all the way,with me watching wide eyed.
It was a traumatic experience for both of us,much more for him and if he had not been so hard headed or lucky,they would have taken him to the funeral home.
True story.
Any bad experience that doesn't end up at the embalmer's table,has a good ending.
Rick