Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-06-2009, 07:49 PM

Don't hogs pollute the water and carry disease? I know they root up wildflowers.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 PM

Now is definitely the time to fish Tellico. It is a shame, but every year it seems that the poachers hit the DH hard and the number of nice fish are seemingly gone by November. However, I still love to go there in the winter to have some alone time with a beautiful place. The huge crowds are not there and the snakes are asleep! Also, the wild fish and very rare Tellico browns seem to come out and play in the winter!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiknstring View Post
The numbers of hogs in the area have really gone up in the last few years. I see more rootings and tracks along North River now than I have in the past 20 years.
The last couple of times I fished up Sycamore Creek,I've seen lots of hog signs,the only thing that makes me feel better about it is they eat snakes.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergal View Post
Don't hogs pollute the water and carry disease? I know they root up wildflowers.
I don't know that they pollute the water and carry disease, at least any more so than any other wild animal does but yes they do root up all kinds of plants. They also suck up acorns like vacuum cleaners which doesn't do the native deer and turkey population any good.

One interesting fact though, if you don't like the hogs you can pray for a deep snow. Back in 1994, I think it was, we had that storm that left 3-4 feet of snow up in the mountains. After the snow finally melted, a guy with the forest service said they were finding dead hogs everywhere. Very few, if any, deer or bear were found. Somehow the deer where able to last but the snow or cold was very hard on the pigs. I found that interesting. However the hogs have come back full force it seems.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Now is definitely the time to fish Tellico. It is a shame, but every year it seems that the poachers hit the DH hard and the number of nice fish are seemingly gone by November. However, I still love to go there in the winter to have some alone time with a beautiful place. The huge crowds are not there and the snakes are asleep! Also, the wild fish and very rare Tellico browns seem to come out and play in the winter!
I've found the same thing. I've not fished the DH section in a few years but last time I did I saw a couple different people with stringers of fish. I started to say something but didn't. I figured they knew what they were doing. I did send a note to TWRA just as an FYI though.

Oh, and yes, I can vouch for the browns in the Tellico. I've not caught any of the really BIG ones but a couple nice ones for sure and I've seen the pics of some bigger browns out of the Tellico.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:20 PM

Default Going for sure

I started this thread a couple of weeks ago and didn't make the trip, but I am going onSaturday through Monday. Hans kindly replied to a question I had and that is what makes boards like this so good. Thanks Hans. Okay, I have never fished Sycamore, and I am intrigued; however, as I mentioned to Hans I am thinking with all the pig hunters out now, the safe bet might be to stay on the Tellico near the road. I figure if I donj't get on all fours and grunt, I should be safe, but I would appreciate any thoughts about that. I don't want end up in a BBQ pit.

Later
Alan a/k/a Buster55
Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 PM

Alan,

My brother and I camped at Spivey Cove last weekend. The hog/bear/deer seasons were out so there wasn't much activity up there. The lady at the Green Cove Market said that there is a deer/hog hunt this coming weekend. We fished the Tellico, North, Bald (up around Holly Flats) and Sycamore. The Holly Flats area from the 1st camp site you encounter down to the main campground fished really well for us. The closer we got to the main campground the less well we did. Sycamore fished the same...better the farther up you hiked. The North and Tellico did not fish as well for us...of course, that might be just us and you would have different results. #16 Tennessee Wulff and EHC patterns worked well...orange body worked best for me on the EHC.

Joel