Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 10-27-2009, 04:09 PM

Default Fort Campbell

Has anyone fished the streams in Fort Campbell, particularly this time of the year? The Kentucky wildlife folks list it as a good quality stream with good holdover. I'm curious how it fishes, water depth botttom type etc. It's only an hour out of Nashville. Any Info? Silvercreek
Old 10-29-2009, 03:43 PM

I haven't fished there but I've wondered this also,just getting onto the base requires paperwork,id's,passes and so on.
I don't know if you go through a different process to fish,but I don't think so.
I'm interested in seeing what someone says about this.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:40 PM

Yeah you have to buy some sort of yearly pass. I've posted this question on another forum with no reply. There are several possibilities. It is so good no one wants to talk about it. It's so bad it is not worth talking about it. No one knows anything about it. I'm just being ignored. Just struggling to find some place in the mid Tessessee area that's not contolled by a dam, and might have atrout or two in it.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:46 PM

Not sure about Campbell, but here on Knox the fishing is good and there is a good bit of holdover. I have caught browns up to 20 and have seen some larger.

Fishing can only improve with more usage. Most folks fish the Post for warm water speacies and leave the trout alone except in very accessible areas. However the military has made it a pain in the butt for civilians. A pass required to come on Post (takes forever DOD Civilians now run the gate and every parent in the world coming to see Johnny graduate from basic)to get to hunt control to buy the license. Ft Knox is about $10.00 I can't imagine Campbell is different.

If you can make it to this area and the creek ain't blown with rain I'll guide for free and put you on some wild 'bows and mayb some browns if the area is open. Bring plenty of Prince nymphs and Para BWOs the creek eats them and they are the Otter Creek "Standard"

One stream to check closer to Campbell is the Trammel Fork good fish in there and browns up towards the springs.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones
Old 10-30-2009, 08:45 AM

Bones, Thanks for the info and the offer. There has been some talk about the Trammel. That's how I got interested in Fort Campbell. I went to the Kentucky wildlife site and saw their info on Fort Campbell. As an extra incentive the Fort recognizes TN and KY fishing licenses. Silvercreek