Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Rod Building

Old 02-12-2009, 10:30 AM

Default Help- Epoxy Wrap Question

A have put on the epoxy and a few of my wraps don't look as good as I would like. The epoxy is uneven. I am sure that the rod is fully functional, but I want it to look good as well. What can I do? I read somewhere that you can file down the lumps, wipe with denatured alcohol and put a fresh layer of epoxy. Does that sound right?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:31 PM

It sounds like your epoxy started to set up on you. What type are you using? There are a bunch of things that can be done. Is it one or two wraps that aren't level or is it through the entire rod? Check out www.rodbuilding.org There is a lot of great info there. If it was me and (I'm very picky with what I build) I would take a razor blade or exacto knife and cut the wraps off by sliding the blade down the guide foot and peeling the rest of the wrap off (donít cut into the blank). If every wrap is uneven it will be time consuming but I would want to start over again (check that web site because they may have better options then what I'm saying). When you apply the epoxy next use an alcohol burning candle to add a little heat to help even out you epoxy after you apply it to each wrap. Heat lowers the viscosity of the epoxy and it will also take care of any bubbles you may have enclosed in the epoxy. With a first time rod builder and a 9 foot fly rod itís hard to keep the epoxy from setting up on you before you get through the rod. I use to mix epoxy two times for a fly rod. I would do half the rod and then mix up some more and finish the rod off.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:21 PM

Anyone used one of these all cork handles/reel seats? Thinking about using one on a 3wt blank I just ordered. Curious how secure the reel is with that slip ring attachment. Also, how will the cork handle take wear? Should I use a sealant on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
I had the 4wt built for me by a custom rod maker out in Wyoming. I told him what I wanted and sent some pictures of what I liked. He did a great job and I am very pleased with it. He hand shaped the cork grip.
The 3wt (lower rod in the top picture) is one I did. I bought the handle kit from janns net craft cat # 250734 http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fly-rod-handle-kits/ and installed it myself.
I use the 4wt for tailwater trout and the 3wt for mtn fishing and bream in the warmwaters. nothing like a bluegill on a full flexing rod!
The handles are called cigar grips

Old 10-29-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
Curious how secure the reel is with that slip ring attachment.
I have a 4# rod with slip rings and it holds the reel perfectly, no slippage. I think as long as the rings are correct size, you'll be fine. Makes for a very light-weight rig.

steve
Old 10-30-2009, 09:02 AM

I agree with Stonefly. I have an older Orvis 3wt Tippit rod that uses this system. No worries.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:18 PM

Great. I'm gonna build a 3wt rod using one of those handles. Are there any other available handles of that type, or do most folks make their own?

--Matt