Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-02-2009, 07:06 PM

Default Upper Nantahala

A word for anyone planning to fish the Upper Nan - Don't.

Okay - two words - You can't.

Essentially the link below says they are releasing water from the lake through the main flow. They can't use the pipe to the powerhouse as they are doing some work there and the powerhouse is down until the end of the year. It seems this release will continue for an indefinite period of time, depending on how much rain we get.

http://www.duke-energy.com/lakes/levels/LakeMessage.asp?lake=nantahala-lake

I saw the water today and it is a mad raging river. But the paddlers are having a great time at the cascades just below River Road.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:50 PM

Old Tom--That explains two things. The complaint I saw somewhere on this forum in recent days about the delayed harvest water on the Nantahala and the unusual level in the lower section. I was through the gorge a couple of weeks back and noticed that the level of the tailwater section was somewhere about half way between normal whiteater conditions and the "off" stage. It looked absolutely ideal for fishing, and I say this as someone who loves the lower section when it is running "on."
There might be some grand opportunities there right now, and unlike the delayed harvest section, this is mostly wild fish (hatchery supported designation notwithstanding).
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 PM

Jim - It would appear the release just started today. So I'm not too sure that's your answer. The tailwater section has been about the level you observed since they stopped the discharge from the powerhouse on Oct 4. I think most of the "higher than off" flow is due to all the rain we've had. I've fished the Park on several different occasions during October and fought high water every time.

I agree with you on the fishing opportunities. Unless someone is just dead set on fishing DH, there's some good potential on the lower section between now and the first of the year when they get the powerhouse back in operation.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:43 PM

Old Tom--That could be the case, but the water was perfectly clear (this was in mid-October). My guess was that they had outflow from the pipe, but not a lot. It seemed to me way too much just to come from upper Nantahala, even after heavy rains. I've never seen the river at this level, and I've fished it for 60 years. It was almost surreal.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com