Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-03-2009, 09:40 AM

Default Bleach solution?

About what mixture should you use for the solution?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Red face

Thanks everyone for your replies. I knew I would get some really good information here. I have to admit that this has been a really fun Thread. Listed below are some of my favority quotes.

GrouseMan77
"almost like having a pair of roller skates on", (I guess because I can relate.)

Jim
"Ain't as Catty anymore" (for some reason I can see you jumping those rocks, LOL)

and Rebelsoul
"I dont hop that far anymore", (It reminded me telling my brother, No way can I make that)

Thanks again everyone, some great ideas.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:12 AM

As far as cross-stream contamination goes,a doctor showed me a neat trick.To kill ANY bad bug on something ,put it in a microwave for 30 seconds.Makes any thing sterile.So shove felts in Mama's oven and do your thing for eliminating cross-stream contam.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:08 PM

I disagree with you on the felt vs. studs issue. I have yet to wear studded boots, and I've tried a lot of different types, which provide the same traction as felt. Indeed, you give a hint of one of the the problems when you mention having "to step heavier." I'm not sure how you do that (although given my personal avoirdupuis maybe it's a given). On the freestone streams of the Smokies, where slick, rounded rocks, as opposed to algae-encrusted ones are the norm, I think felt is the way to go. Jim Casada

--------------
Jim,
Stepping heavier has more to do with balance than with one's aviordupuis, though additional weight does improve traction. Regarding felt vs AquaStealth soles, I typically went through 1 pair of felt boots every 2 years, even though I would pack my wading shoes and hike in with hiking boots. Since switching to rubber soled boots, I get 8 to 10 years now per pair. Prior to the switch, I borrowed a rubber soled boot from a friend and used 1 of my felt shoes on the other foot. I could tell no difference in the traction of the two. Hence, it came down to durability.

Boot soles, as with flies, rods, and locales, are a matter of preference. Based on many yrs of Smoky Mtn experience, I've developed my preferences on what works best for me. Ultimately, it is everyone's individual decision through trial, error, or sound advice from others. I guess we agree to disagree my friend.

Grampus
Old 11-04-2009, 05:44 PM

Grampus--I'm not so "sot in my ways" as to be totally resistant to change, and the part of your argument which got my attention was the potential savings. I go through about a pair of boots a year, and the thought of any boots with really good traction lasting many years gets my attention. My reservations are two-sided--(1) Every pair of cleated boots I've ever tried left me feeling like I was on ice or a high wire the first time I got atop a rounded rock and (2) I'm reluctant to buy something I'll end up detesting or finding marginally functional. Mind you, I've done that once with felt soles. It was a boot with an elevated heel, and within 10 yards I understood why women wearing high heels walk like a barefoot boy astride a porcupine.
Still, you've got me thinking, and maybe someone will have a pair of the Aqua-Stealth boots at the WNC Fly Fishing Expo this weekend. At the very least I'll give them a look.
Incidentally, any of you forum participants who plan to attend the event, I'll be at the Hunter Banks booth all day on both Saturday and Sunday, except for the programs I'll be presenting each day with Roger Lowe.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-04-2009, 06:19 PM

Mr. Casada....I have been using Stealth soled boots for the last 7-8 years in the Smokies...first pair lasted 6 years without any problems....I used these boots to hike in to places like Fish Camp Prong and Ramsey Fork without any problems...I am currently fishing in the LLBean West Branch boot which is going for quite a bit less than the Patagonia....they are light weight and provide plenty of support...they are lugged soles but have small circles that seem to cling to dry rocks...personally I find that I slip a whole lot less with these than I do felt soled boots....they dry out fast and don't collect mud and dirt....they also have a progressive heel unlike some of the other lugged waders.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:24 PM

I've been wearing the LLBean Aqua stealths for several years now also. I didn't get the studs since I fish a lot from a canoe and inflatable yak. They are good boots.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:51 AM

After reading about the Korkers and the sole changing feature,I'm going to buy some.I have a tendency to tote too much stuff and if one pair of shoes can double more as hiking and wading shoes better than felts,can't hurt to give them a try.
hey....it's only money.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:03 AM

A fellow could even buy a sole and experiment with his own ideas without ruining an entire boot if the idea did not work out. Years ago there was a company that made a soft aluminum "cleat" that was round and about the size of a dime. They expanded like a pop rivet when driven into the felt. That soft aluminum did not skate on hard rocks like carbide or steel does. As I recall, they worked well in the boots I put them in.