Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 11-03-2009, 10:52 PM

Default zoo cougars

With all the high water lately, I've been tying zoo cougars to fish on the sinktip lines. What is the best river around to fish sculpin flies?
banded sculpin zoo cougar

traditional style ZC in yellow

Old 11-03-2009, 11:17 PM

Those look great. Not sure on the info you asked but definately wanted to tell you thats some good looking flies.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:57 PM

Gary, theres not a river around here that fly wont mop up when their really on bait fish. I do really well with it on all the smallmouth rivers you haunt. Dont be afraid to use 2/0-3/0. Great for pre-spawn anything,try some in black(ZOO PUMA). I once was fishing a 6" couger and just when I started to wonder if it was to big a 25" brown ate the thing. When I netted the fish the fly was totally inside the fishes mouth,it litterally couldnt be seen with its mouth closed.
Thanks,Lynn
Old 11-05-2009, 10:04 PM

Thanks guys, but I still need to work on proportions and placement when tying these things and I've had a hard time finding good deer hair and straight mallard flanks.

Lynn, I ordered a few in black and white from KG and also a really deadly looking fly called the boogieman to fish on a floating line. They should be fun next spring on the pre-spawn Smallies!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:16 PM

Very Nice
Could you share a material list and a few pointers on the tie up?
Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 PM

here ya go cag215....like I said, I've not got this pattern down yet. I need to spend more time getting the proportions correct for them to look like KGs. I keep putting too much head on the fly!

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...w/7698fotw.php
Old 11-06-2009, 10:33 AM

I fished a zoo cougar on a sink tip last year on the delayed harvest on the Nantahala and had some success. Nothing huge but very explosive strikes which was really fun to watch. I like the mottled/barred look. I haven't tried to tie them myself but agree that the heads on yours look a tad large compared to the original. I'm sure you know from looking at the originals you have that the head needs to be flattened a little more. They really have good action when in the current don't they.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 AM

I haven't fished many of them, but have read how KG raves about them. I have tied a few myself, and understand what you are talking about with the mallard flank. I Know that the sculpin in the Clinch look very similar to the first of your pictured flies. However, instead of the darker brown or black, maybe a natural deer hair or tan. Saw one just the other day. I am ordering sinking line myself just for these type flies.
A zoo cougar in olive will be a killer prespawn smallie fly. I tied something similar with a spun deer hair head, black bead chain eyes, olive zonker tail, and flashabou body this spring and racked up.

Last edited by highstick; 11-06-2009 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: cant spell