Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Salmon and Steelhead

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2009, 11:37 AM

Default Lake Erie Brown Trout

I’m going to post this b/c I thought it was interesting reading and I like catching brown trout. I have some friends that are involved in management of the local fishing/conservation club around town. I like reading the pros/cons of the effort. NY does a good job of this.

Google the words Cattaraugus Creek in NY. It’s a great stream!

This past week while fishing, I had a good conservation with a fish warden about this. Good person to speak with. He had a biology background.
The stocking was tried once before in Lake Erie and did not have much success. The PA Fish Commission is making a more concerted effort to increase the brown trout fishery and make a more diverse fishing experience.

They are stocking larger fish now. The walleyes are smart. In the past, they wait for these fish to leave the rivers into the lake and CHOW-TIME starts.
When I was fishing Walnut Creek this past week, I had a couple of 9-12 inch brown trout swimming around my feet. My first thought was, “dumb stock fish . . . I have no pellets to feed you . . . “

For Immediate Release Date: September 15, 2009

PA FISH AND BOAT COMMISSION PLANS BROWN TROUT STOCKING IN ERIE TRIBUTARIES

Meadville, PA – The PFBC will be stocking brown trout into the tributaries of Lake Erie beginning as soon as September 29, 2009. These seven inch long trout will be fin clipped for identification purposes before being stocked the next day. Planned stocking locations are Trout Run, Presque Isle Bay, Crooked Creek, Godfrey Run, and Orchard Beach Creek. All tributary stockings will be done as close to the mouths of each stream as possible as long as there is adequate water flow. If stream flow is low, the fish will be stocked directly into the lake near the stream mouth.

Lake Erie Fisheries Biologist Chuck Murray reported that, "The goal of this program is to emulate the brown trout program on Lake Ontario, but on a smaller scale. The intention of this effort is to add some diversity to the tributary fishery, create a near shore springtime fishery and enhance the offshore summer boat fishery. These brown trout stockings will supplant the surplus steelhead stocked since the elimination of the Coho program in 2003. The program was started through the gracious donation of 100,000 certified disease free eggs provided by the New York Department of Environmental Conservation. As the program evolves, the PFBC will develop self sustaining Lake Erie brown trout brood program at their hatcheries".

Murray also added that, "This will be a cooperative venture between the PFBC and local cooperative sportsman’s nurseries. In addition to the thousands of brown trout to be stocked by the PFBC, approximately 35,000 additional brown trout were already stocked earlier this year by 3-CU and the Wesleyville Conservation Club with the assistance of the PFBC Cooperative Nursery Unit. The success of the program will be monitored through creel surveys and existing assessment programs over the next several years. Brown trout stocking will be about 50,000-100,000 annually, representing about 5-10% of the steelhead stocking levels."

The mission of the Fish and Boat Commission is to protect, conserve, and enhance the Commonwealth’s aquatic resources and provide fishing and boating opportunities. For more information about fishing and boating in Pennsylvania, please visit our website at www.fishandboat.com.