Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-10-2009, 08:13 PM

Default Heading West

My time in Kentucky has finally come to and end and the Army has seen fit to move me to Ft Carson Colorado. Gonna miss slippin' back to Va and down to the Smokies. I report next April to Carson; really excited to get back to the operational Army and to get to some good fishing.
Anyone have any info on bugs or streams to fish within an hours drive of Colorado Springs. I have scoured the internet and have come up with little info except the big streams that anyone that has heard about fly fishing in the slightest way knows. The tailwaters and lakes will be all I am left with until the Snow Melt is over but tailwaters aren't really my thing. Small streams and pretty fish are what gets me going.

Thanks for your help, hopefully I will be able to post reports of small stream cutthroats and big tailwater browns in a few more months.

thanks again,
bones
Old 11-10-2009, 08:25 PM

Bones, sorry I can't help you on some small streams in Colorado, but I do wish to thank you for your service to our country. I'm sure someone on the base is a fly fisher and can point you to the type of water you are looking for. Good luck and send us a pic or two of your adventures stream side.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:43 AM

Hello Bones,

My first forestry job in 1998 was in SW CO. The Rio Brande and San Juan National Forests are full of small streams. I was there for only one summer, caught my first trout on a fly near the Divide. You may want to do search by member PeteCz. Pete used to live on the Front Range and has made trips to CO the last two years and he focuses on smaller streams. Also, I haven't been there, but the Rocky Mountain National Park is supposed to be a mecca for a small stream fisherman. One day I would like to move back there if I can find the right job opportunity. Check out the Gunnison area if you're looking for bigger water. The Gunnison and Taylor rivers are excellent. My most exciting trip while in CO was hiking into the Black Canyon to fish the Gunnison. Big browns and rainbows with nobody else in the Gorge near me.

Enjoy,

Neal