Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-10-2009, 06:19 PM

Default First Golden From Catch and Release in Cherokee

I have made several trips to the catch and release section of Raven Fork in Cherokee, but caught only 12-14 inch fish. On Monday November 9, 2009, I was having an average day, which means I missed hookset after hookset. I am not really sure how to fish streamers of tie them, but I was standing at the top of a long hole and saw a big palomino(golden) chasing something around the lower end of the hole. I let my prince nymph drift down and swing across in front of the fish, and it gave a slight chase. I then tied on s streamer I tied(not sure what it is..........just a mess of peacock herl, red bucktail, and a mallard feather). After about 3 more times letting my line drift down and swinging it by the big fish, the fish chased it across until I was out of swing, so I started stripping the line and it hit hard. Only lnded tweo fish yesterday, but this one made it worth the trip.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:40 PM

That's a fine looking trout you have there. I want to hit the trophy section, Elkmont kicked my butt in April.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:23 PM

I have done Elkmont 3 times and have caught zero fish there. I like fishing the park more because of the scenery and wild fish, but it is addicting knowing that any cast could be a monster. I lost a rainbow yesterday that broke my 3x tippet like it wasn't there, and I was just letting it run when it did it.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Hey tjw37909 I have fished the trophy section a good 6 or 7 times, a bunch of my "older" fishing friends hit it weekly as a part of a fishing group. If you fish it a good bit hit me up with an email and I can give you a little pattern info for that strech, those goldies are odd looking! And don't give up on elkmont there are some brusiers in there

bmurphy055@gmail.com

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 11-11-2009, 10:34 AM

I give you credit. Fishing alone and taking a GOOD picture is hard to do.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:55 AM

Thanks but it isn't me. The camera has some setting that takes good pics even if you are shaking the camera a little. I dont know how it works, but it always saves me.