Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 11-11-2009, 05:54 PM

Shoot...I got you and the kid mixed up! In my experience, bigger guys eat more food, drink more water, have bigger clothes bags etc. IMO, go for something at least 5000 ci. You can always strap your sleeping bag off the bottom, it will bump you a lot though if you do that.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Shoot...I got you and the kid mixed up! In my experience, bigger guys eat more food, drink more water, have bigger clothes bags etc. IMO, go for something at least 5000 ci. You can always strap your sleeping bag off the bottom, it will bump you a lot though if you do that.
thanks that what i was looking for. and ya about the food and water how much food do most of you all bring along with you? and i am just 16 i will be 17 in jan.

Last edited by sam barbee; 11-11-2009 at 06:49 PM..
Old 11-11-2009, 07:23 PM

Oh, ok...16...got it. Still you're bigger, so everything I said applies IMO, bring dried foods and beverage powders, some jerky and a water purifier (I assume you have a cook kit, stove, emergency blanket, small aid kit, etc.) Don't forget some rope to hang your pack in the trees, it also doubles as splint rope if you break a leg. When I was younger and camped a lot, my favorites were mac and cheese (put 3-4 in a large freezer bag, double bag it, and leave the boxes at home), any flavored pasta in a bag, dried beans, jerky, salt and pepper and some gatorade powder. You don't want to carry anything that is already hydrated as it's just too heavy. Those are the basics. If you like sweets, bring a snickers bar or two. They are great for adding that extra energy when you've been hiking all day. Also, from now to April, I would bring an extra couple of days of food. You never know when you are going to get snowed in up on the mountain. Same goes for stove fuel. I generally bring more food than I think I'll need because I am always more hungry because of all the hiking. The rest of the year, just bring the minimum. Don't forget to layer your clothing, it will be warm in the day and cold at night. I don't know nearly as much as most of the guys that post here, so hopefully you'll get some input from some others, but that should get you started. As far as spending the night, it just depends on the campsite and how many days you want to fish. It does get creepy when you are alone though! Don't worry, you will be fine though.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:48 PM

thanks i will add that to my list of things to get. and the whole staying alone i plan on not having to do much of that if any i would like to be with someone in case something happens . the good thing is i am a lifegaurd and trained in cpr,first aid,and water rescue.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:41 PM

Orvis has some nice packs. I am not much of a long term hiker but I know a friend of mine who guides and camps alot likes the orvis packs that are out right now. I believe it is the shooting star line. But I could be mistaken.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:58 AM

Grannyknot mentioned the Arc'Teryx Bora pack. I have the Bora 80 and am very satisfied. The pack is pretty pricey but seems to be bomb proof. I bought my wife a Gregory pack last Christmas and it seems to be a quality product.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 11-12-2009, 09:52 AM

I have stayed alone a few times and yeah it is a little creepy. I stayed one night at #56 (burnt spruce) this summer on a Saturday night alone. There was no one staying at 57 either so it felt really strange. Part of me wants to be alone and then again part of me is a bit happy when I see another tent there. I think the more I stay alone though the more used to it I would become.

I like the Osprey's too but I have a bigger old heavy Gregory right now. My next pack will be an Osprey.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:50 AM

you could go with one of those wheeled "packs" like they use up at Hazel Creek. you can bring your cooler, grill, beer and everything that way.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:32 AM

Default External Frames

Back when I was in scouts I used an external frame backback for most of my 600+ nights camping. We always used a bungee cord to attach the sleeping bag to the frame and then it did not bounce around and you have the cord in camp for other uses too.

Long story short the external frames are still workable and can often be found at second hand stores or online auctions for next to nothing since they are not as fashionable as the internal frame packs. Just trying to save you some money so you have to spend on other things.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Love Ospery and Gregory. Got to a shop and have them load you down with weight. Pick the one that feels the best.