Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 11-12-2009, 03:21 PM

what would be a good shop in or around knoxville to look for packs?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:18 PM

Little River Trading Company - Maryville

Riversports Outfitters - Knoxville

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 11-13-2009, 08:14 AM

I wanted to add something to my previous post... I was being lazy.

Of the two stores that I mentioned, I really like Little River Trading Company. This is just my opinion.

If you do go to one of the two stores make sure that you seek out someone who knows their stuff. You want to make sure the pack works for you.

Jody is the guy at LRTC. He is a very nice guy who spends a lot of time actually using the stuff that the store sells.

River Sports...I'm not sure who to talk to anymore. They get a lot of college kids in there that don't know the difference between packs but will try to sell you on which one is "more killer". I like the store but be careful to pay attention to who is giving their opinion.

I had one kid try to tell me that The North Face was "more killer" than any other brand and that everyone in his fraternity used their stuff. Complete idiot.

Blue Ridge Mountain Sports is another Knoxville store. Expect about the same as River Sports.

I also looked around at Mast General Store. I had to explain to the sales person that Gregory packs did in fact come in different sizes. She insisted that I was mistaken. I showed her what I was talking about and then left.

Plan to spend some time trying on packs. Load them down with weight and wear them around the store.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:39 AM

To add to Grouseman's comment......

Nick Waller is who I deal with at River Sports. He is an organizer with the Great Smokies Hiking & Adventure Group and knows his stuff pretty well. I think he is also a Gregory certified pack fitter, and has taken the Go-Lite efficient packing class. As far as backpacks go, River Sports carries Gregory, Arc'Teryx, Go Lite, Granit Gear, Osprey, Lowe Alpine, & Mountain Hardwear.

I would do some research on the internet, figure out what features you want, pick a few different packs out, and go to the store with the intent to load them and try them on. Don't go to the store with a clean slate....your opinions on what you need are equally as important as the sales associates.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:53 AM

Grannyknot,

Thanks for mentioning the guy at River Sports by name. I really like the store but have had difficulty dealing with some of the employees. It is good to have the name of someone who uses the products that they are trying to sell.

We need to put those packs to use ASAP.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:01 PM

well after learning all that i will probly go to little river trading company this sunday.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:13 AM

I highly recommend Deuter packs. My wife and I both have one. They are not as popular here in the states, so they are less expensive than the other brands. They are very durable and rugged. They don't leave out any of the extras either. A rain cover comes standard and is built in to the bottom of the pack. If it starts to rain, you just unzip it and pull it over the top. Both of ours have a seperate sleeping bag compartment. We can fit both our bags and pads in there. You can also open it up to just one compartment instead of two if you wish. The lids have a few small compartments. They are very comfortable and roomy. You will definately pay less for one compared to a lot of other brands. They have their own line of hydration bladders that are great too. I think they are a brand that should be considered. But in the end pick the pack that fits best to your body.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summertime14 View Post
I highly recommend Deuter packs.
Which of their packs do you and your wife use?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:30 PM

My wife uses the Futura Pro 42. I carry the Futura Vario 50+10. It has some really great features like adjustable shoulders straps that can fit anyone with a small large torso. Now I will admit the first few miles were a little rough until the straps were broken in. We have never had any trouble carrying all our gear. I am considering getting a smaller Deuter pack for dayhikes, to replace my camelback.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:13 AM

I almost forgot that I also have one of the Deuter packs. I believe it is a Futura Pro but I can not recall the size. I bought it for long day hikes in the summer. I like the built in rain fly and the way it is designed to keep the pack off your back (Aircomfort?). The one I have is a good pack for lunches, rain gear, etc.

Not sure how I would like their stuff if it was a larger pack and really loaded down.