Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2009, 12:22 PM

Default Which Vise?

OK brief history. Last year I took the Beginner's Fly Tying Class at LRO. After the class I decided that $2/fly seems pretty resonable and didn't pursue tying. I have been fishing a lot of midges as a dropper lately and decided surely I could tie these things. I borrowed a friends vise and last Thursday evening tied up a dozen size 22 zebra midges. I only had about and hour to fish Friday but caught 3 fish in the first 15 minutes on one of my zebra midges and it was still holding together. I Think I may give this tying thing another try.
I know that tying isn't really a way to save money and I know that I should probably experiment with several different vises.
But I am just curious which vise you prefer and why. I want to get a decent vise, but I don't want to break the bank, so I am looking in the $200 dollar range.
My front runner is probably the HMH Spartan - simple elegance
close 2nd Renzetti Traveler - good price, full rotary, nice hook range
also consider
Peak Rotary
Dyna-King Trekker
Regal

So, if you have any experience with any of these vices and would like to offer your thoughts I would love to hear them. At this point it appears that I will mostly tie small stuff 18-24 (and could buy optional micro-jaw for the HMH). Next in my progression of tying might actually be to skip to the larger stuff like streamers. For now, I will probably keep buying the middle sized dries and nymphs. Thanks for the input.

Mike