Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-12-2009, 06:11 PM

oh yeah, the keys! If i got waders on I put 'em in my pants under the waders. I figure these waders ain't coming down except at potty time, and I won't do that over or in the water!!!

anyway, I only carry a few flies and seen some of these boxes packed with flies...I think, "do you really need that many flies?" I forgot sunglasses and drinks but I don't like carrying a walking stick...

I guess it's true for so many pursuits.....simplicity.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:18 PM

I carry probably more flies than I could ever possibly use. And every time I come up I stop by LRO and buy a dozen more of flies I don't have adding yet another box. Other than that I carry leaders, tippet, nips, forceps and other tools, bottled water and a pack of crackers. I carry a spare reel and rod along with a rain jacket. Sometimes I have a wading staff sometimes I don't. My partner carries a net but I never do. A hat and a camera. Indicators and floatant and that about covers it. I do always carry a good pocket knife, but thats on me no matter where I go. But most important I carry my fishing licenses'. Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:43 PM

Pretty much what everyone else carries.
Nippers, hemostats, extra spools of tippet, a box or 2 of flies, wading staff if I'm going to be wading, hat, camera, snaks, knife, lighter, small AAA flashlight, keys, fishing license, drivers license, cell phone. I guess I do go with a lot of stuff. The only things dangling off my vest though are my hemos, my nippers and my little flashlight. When I'm not in the park and going to be out by myself, especially if it will be dark when I get back to the car, I carry a revolver (yes I have a permit). Also, if I'm going to be more than a mile or so away from the car, I carry water, enough snaks to hold me for a day or so if I get hopelessly lost in the woods and an emergency rain poncho.

Jeff
Old 11-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Gotta go with lauxier on this one, Les is Best, I get fed up with all the junk I carry and I don't carry nuthin, a spool of tippet, steam level appropriate, small thing of split shot, nippers, hemos, fly box 1 which has a mix from my boxes in the truck that I know will cover me, fishing license, If an only If I am chasing big browns a net...sometimes, I wear a small waist pack to carry it, oh floatant and an extra leader, thats it, I have thought about a lanyern but I can see that getting in the way as I climb etc.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 11-13-2009, 07:40 PM

Carloina boy I have used a waist pack also and the lanyard. My personal opinion is that the lanyard is aggravating. It hangs up, clanks and is just irritating. I am going to a chest pack the next time I buy but right now I use just a trusty Reddington vest.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:39 AM

I try to be a minimalists-minimalist...

I don't wear a vest. Instead, I clip my nippers, forceps, and floatant/Frogs Fanny to my belt and put one spool of 5x and a small box of flies in my pockets. I can get away with one spool of tippet because I use a furled leader. And I only have one small box of flies because I rarely (never) use nymphs or streamers. I have two patterns that I use in a few sizes and colors and leave it at that...

When I go more than 2 miles into the backcountry I do try to be a bit better prepared with a packable rain-jacket, water purifier and trail mix in a small backpack.

I agree with lauxier as well, I spent way too much money and thought on trinkets and flies the first 12 years I fished and have spent the last few years trying to pare down to the essentials...and polarized sunglasses...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 11-15-2009, 10:04 PM

My only issue with the chest pack is that i am not the tallest fellow out there and i have had issue with kicking rocks triping and so on so I just move my pack around my waist and then in front when i need something, it's OK but i am not really into the thing hanging around my neck seems it would be cumbersome

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 11-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Every now and then, I catch myself packing too much stuff, like a fly box. But lately, I've stuck with just a lanyard that has, floatant, froggs fanny, 2 nippers (I must have found 1 of them somewhere), hemostats, 6 spools of tippet (4 of which are mostly empty 5X), and a fly patch.

The best thing I ever did was trash my vest. Nothing but a useless junk container.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:37 AM

buzz,those are nifty frogsfanny holders, can I find those easy?

When I first started I had a little less than I got now. But when I "got serious" about it I bought a vest on ebay. I packed that thing full of stuff. It alone weighed a great deal, but with the stuff in it; goodness it was heavy! And hot! It's at home in a tote. I even got a sweet little chest/back pack and it stays off sometimes as well!

Funny thing is, I carry almost the same gear as everyone else. I don't ever have time to get far off the trail, so the safety/survival gear is left out.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
buzz,those are nifty frogsfanny holders, can I find those easy?
jross, here's a link to both of them.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/sto...ction=0&page=2